The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 10:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I'm glad to see that ESPN shows so much footage of illegal conduct in the dugout, as the players drum away on buckets with balls. ESPN "announcers" love it and the umpires do nothing. No wonder I have to hear this every weekend and then hear, "We do it every game. Everyone does it on tv." Maybe we can get a tuba player in the dugout for the next game.
And if they were drumming on buckets with, say, their water bottles or their street shoes or even drumsticks that they snuck in their bat bags, what's the difference? Is there an NCAA rule that prohibits this?

What is the purpose of rule 13.4.2 anyway? Is it to limit the noise factor out of the dugout? Or is it to minimize the possibility of softball equipment getting damaged during the game? I have a hard time believing it's the former, because I've heard girls chant and yell and make all sorts of noise out of the dugouts, and, quite frankly, I've always thought that was the norm in softball.

Or are we to limit this kind of noise using 5.11 on "Artificial Noisemakers"? What defines an artificial noisemaker anyway?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And if they were drumming on buckets with, say, their water bottles or their street shoes or even drumsticks that they snuck in their bat bags, what's the difference? Is there an NCAA rule that prohibits this?

What is the purpose of rule 13.4.2 anyway? Is it to limit the noise factor out of the dugout? Or is it to minimize the possibility of softball equipment getting damaged during the game? I have a hard time believing it's the former, because I've heard girls chant and yell and make all sorts of noise out of the dugouts, and, quite frankly, I've always thought that was the norm in softball.

Or are we to limit this kind of noise using 5.11 on "Artificial Noisemakers"? What defines an artificial noisemaker anyway?
If someone's blowing a referee whistle, or blasting a tuba during a windup, etc - someone's going to say something and then we're going to address it. Chanting, pounding, screaming ... all normal.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

It's kind of amazing how much fun those girls are having in the dugouts before during and after the games!
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
the devils advocate

speaking ASA. couldnt an umpire consider the banging unsportsmanlike conduct much like negative cheering and invoke rule 10 - 1 power and duties? " the plate umpire shall have the authority to make decisions on any situations not specifaclly covered in these rules"
How, she was cheering for her team? If you are going to do that, maybe we should use the same rule and remove the player's shoes after a warning for misuse by stomping them on the dugout floor in unison to create the rhythm for a cheer.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

its just a question pal..take it easy with the silly comparisons
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly ... I didn't find the comparison that silly, and don't find his outside the box scenario any differently than yours.

As to 10-1 ... if you're willing to trot it out to cover this, I have to worry what else you're using it for. In 21 years, I've used it once ... a car with no driver got somehow put in gear and rolled over the RF fence (and eventually RF before someone caught up with it) while a ball was in play, scaring the crapola out of a bunch of 12 year olds.

And that's about how far outside the box a situation needs to be for you to use that rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 01:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Seriously, you don't want to open the door of saying that softball chanting and other forms of noise-making are unsporting. Unless the chants are blatantly directed at the opposing team's skill level, how are you going to regulate them? Are you going to limit the volume level? Are you going to only allow them between pitches and stop them the moment the pitcher looks in for the sign?

When I moved from umpiring baseball to softball, dugout noise was something that took me some getting used to. I soon realized that it was extremely rare that the opposing coach would complain, so I don't bother at all. I certainly wouldn't invoke any kind of unsporting determination to put a stop to it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
There is also a greater mutual respect between coaches and umpires. Coaches also know that their institutions aren't paying them to get ejected. People often lose sight of the fact that most institutions think that it reflects poorly on them when someone on their payroll acts so foolishly, especially in front of a crowd, that they get thrown out.

One thing I can say for certain is that there was at least one DI coach ejected this year
Didn't Alabama HC get ran at Supers last year? And I think there was one that got tossed during controversy over an INT or OBS play but I can't remember what school..
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I seem to remember from my baseball days many moons ago that there was a school of thought in that world that getting thrown out of a game will fire up the team. Fortunately softball types don't appear to have attended this school!
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Seriously, you don't want to open the door of saying that softball chanting and other forms of noise-making are unsporting. Unless the chants are blatantly directed at the opposing team's skill level, how are you going to regulate them? Are you going to limit the volume level? Are you going to only allow them between pitches and stop them the moment the pitcher looks in for the sign?

When I moved from umpiring baseball to softball, dugout noise was something that took me some getting used to. I soon realized that it was extremely rare that the opposing coach would complain, so I don't bother at all. I certainly wouldn't invoke any kind of unsporting determination to put a stop to it.
thank you manny for the reasonable answer...and yes mdlonghorn it was a silly comparison with belittling intent and not informative at all and there is no need to worry about how i use the rule because i dont think i ever have although i know its there. i prefaced the question as being the devil's advocate, somewhat tongue in cheek...geez

Last edited by grounder; Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:54pm.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And it was only an answer, bubba. If you didn't want an answer, you shouldn't ask a question.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Good buddy of mine who is also the head of the local basketball officials association tells me that NFHS basketball rules specifically prohibit artificial noise makers being used by teams and/or fans.

Then comes the state tournament.. the main sponsor (a statewide bank) hands out inflatable "thunder sticks" to all the fans!
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And it was only an answer, bubba. If you didn't want an answer, you shouldn't ask a question.
well, i would have appreciated a less patronizing answer but following your previous posts to others i shouldnt have expected anything more than that. i always respect your opinions and interpretations as the final word but there really is no need to be demeaning......its no big deal. lets move on
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Had a JV game where the fan's from one team were saying "swing!" when other team was batting. Other than that they were simply cheering on their DDs who were losing badly.

Coach for the team who's batter were being told "swing!" by the fans wanted me to tell them they had to stop. She was kinda surprised when I told her no. Then she wanted to know if she could tell them. Told her I could not stop her but I doubted that her talking to them would be a good idea.

Sorry but if you can't play while there is noise going on you have bigger challenges than the noise!
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Sorry but if you can't play while there is noise going on you have bigger challenges than the noise!
Maybe someone should tell that to Sergio Garcia.