The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I have and also that 15 is not 10 or fewer.
That is another story...
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
And since we are harping over language, it's actually "fewer" than 2 outs. Not "less" than two outs.
Well, fewer is correct, but less is not wrong, at least, not according to Messrs. Merriam and Webster
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I have and also that 15 is not 10 or fewer.
Now, if they can't count to make change, how do you expect them to know that 15 is more than 10?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
It's not just softball - you should see the NCAA volleyball rule book (NYS hs volleyball uses the NCAA ruleset) not to mention our test
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Now, if they can't count to make change, how do you expect them to know that 15 is more than 10?
Since we're kind of into derailment land, I was getting something to eat the other day and after thinking about paying with my card, I instead reached for some cash in my wallet and handed it to the cashier. She got the most panic stricken face I've ever seen which I'm guessing was a result of having to make change instead of just swiping the card.

Is it me or are people losing the ability to make change? Is basic math really becoming that difficult?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:43am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Is it me or are people losing the ability to make change? Is basic math really becoming that difficult?
Seems to me that basic math skills are lost since it's become too easy to carry a device everywhere people go that can do everything by app.

My daughter, who is 25, cannot calculate tips when we go to dinner. She can't even understand that figuring out 20% of $35 using her phone's calculator is done by the key strokes "35 x 0.2 =" Rather, she uses an app where she can type in "35", then push a button that has "20%" on it.

It's sad.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It's sad.
ditto!
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Since we're kind of into derailment land, I was getting something to eat the other day and after thinking about paying with my card, I instead reached for some cash in my wallet and handed it to the cashier. She got the most panic stricken face I've ever seen which I'm guessing was a result of having to make change instead of just swiping the card.

I predicted this in the mid 70's when the calculator began invading the schools. BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY AND IT'S USES, I have no problem with using the technological advances of the past 75 years or so to help expedite and effect an efficient process, but I do have a problem with using technology in lieu of developing one's brain and knowledge.

rant

When I worked for Southland, I kept a 7-Eleven open during a power outage and no one could figure out how I could do such a thing without power to operate the cash register. People were having a hard time comprehending my ability to do simple math without a machine and that is simply pitiful.

I have run into dozens of situations from a college grad WORKING IN THE SPORTS ARENA TICKET OFFICE who could not figure out the change from a $100 bill for a $77 purchase WITH an adding machine to a banker not being able to make change at his daughter's girl scout cookie table at a fair.

Everyone wants to blame cheap slave labor abroad for the USA's employment issues when in many cases it is simply the lack of qualified people willing to actually work for a living. It is a sad state when the most common answer from our young people of the simplest questions is "Uh?"

/rant

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:46pm.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:06pm
Stirrer of the Pot

+1
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, fewer is correct, but less is not wrong, at least, not according to Messrs. Merriam and Webster
That's not so. It would have to be "lesser number of outs than 2" to be correct.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She can't even understand that figuring out 20%

You guys tip 20 percent in Virginia?..

I could never tip $40 on a $100 tab no-matter how great the table dances or service was ...
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN View Post
You guys tip 20 percent in Virginia?..

I could never tip $40 on a $100 tab no-matter how great the table dances or service was ...
Must be the math they teach in Minniesoda?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
That's not so. It would have to be "lesser number of outs than 2" to be correct.
Usage Discussion of LESS

The traditional view is that less applies to matters of degree, value, or amount and modifies collective nouns, mass nouns, or nouns denoting an abstract whole while fewer applies to matters of number and modifies plural nouns. Less has been used to modify plural nouns since the days of King Alfred and the usage, though roundly decried, appears to be increasing. Less is more likely than fewer to modify plural nouns when distances, sums of money, and a few fixed phrases are involved <less than 100 miles> less than $2000> less> and as likely as fewer to modify periods of time less (or fewer) than four hours>.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Seems to me that basic math skills are lost since it's become too easy to carry a device everywhere people go that can do everything by app.

My daughter, who is 25, cannot calculate tips when we go to dinner. She can't even understand that figuring out 20% of $35 using her phone's calculator is done by the key strokes "35 x 0.2 =" Rather, she uses an app where she can type in "35", then push a button that has "20%" on it.

It's sad.
My wife and I were at a top shelf restaurant in San Francisco this past weekend.

The bill comes, I look down and printed on the bottom of the receipt, in great detail, is how much 15%, 20%, and 25%, of the total is for tipping purposes.

The upscale clientele that they cater to must also have basic math issues.

P.S. I'm not upscale-my wife is.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
The bill comes, I look down and printed on the bottom of the receipt, in great detail, is how much 15%, 20%, and 25%, of the total is for tipping purposes.
I've seen this on checks before. And it was wrong (closer to 18-23-28%).