View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Since we're kind of into derailment land, I was getting something to eat the other day and after thinking about paying with my card, I instead reached for some cash in my wallet and handed it to the cashier. She got the most panic stricken face I've ever seen which I'm guessing was a result of having to make change instead of just swiping the card.

Is it me or are people losing the ability to make change? Is basic math really becoming that difficult?
I predicted this in the mid 70's when the calculator began invading the schools. BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY AND IT'S USES, I have no problem with using the technological advances of the past 75 years or so to help expedite and effect an efficient process, but I do have a problem with using technology in lieu of developing one's brain and knowledge.

rant

When I worked for Southland, I kept a 7-Eleven open during a power outage and no one could figure out how I could do such a thing without power to operate the cash register. People were having a hard time comprehending my ability to do simple math without a machine and that is simply pitiful.

I have run into dozens of situations from a college grad WORKING IN THE SPORTS ARENA TICKET OFFICE who could not figure out the change from a $100 bill for a $77 purchase WITH an adding machine to a banker not being able to make change at his daughter's girl scout cookie table at a fair.

Everyone wants to blame cheap slave labor abroad for the USA's employment issues when in many cases it is simply the lack of qualified people willing to actually work for a living. It is a sad state when the most common answer from our young people of the simplest questions is "Uh?"

/rant

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:46pm.