The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Is this an illegal pitch

We have a pitcher that starts with pivot foot on the rubber and non pivot foot touching the rear of the rubber within the width of the rubber( perfectly legal). When she pitches she lands with here non pivot foot outside the rubbers width when delivering the pitch. Most times the heal would land withing the rubber width but sometimes it is outside the rubber completely. She is basically stepping across here body to through a curve that starts at a right hand batter and breaks away. We really don't find anything in the book about the non pivot foot landing outside on delivery as being illegal unless it starts outside at the stance.

This is NFHS rules HS varsity softball
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

The entire pitch must be delivered from within that 24" width, when your pitcher is outside that, she's illegal.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg68 View Post
We really don't find anything in the book about the non pivot foot landing outside on delivery as being illegal...
You're just not looking hard enough.

See 6-1-2-b.

Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

NOTE: "Toward" is interpreted as within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate. (See "Figure")

In addition, the referenced "Figure" shows that the stride foot landing outside the 24" width is illegal.

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:01am.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
You're just not looking hard enough.

See 6-1-2-b.

Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

NOTE: "Toward" is interpreted as within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate. (See "Figure")

In addition, the referenced "Figure" shows that the stride foot landing outside the 24" width is illegal.

I saw that, but that shows the NP foot outside to start. So how you interpret that if her heel hits the rubber width line toward the catcher she would be legal then correct? As long as she starts with NP inside the rubber's width.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I saw that, but that shows the NP foot outside to start. So how you interpret that if her heel hits the rubber width line toward the catcher she would be legal then correct? As long as she starts with NP inside the rubber's width.
Starting or stopping does not matter, any of those with either foot outside "the lane" is illegal (the pitch/delivery, not the pitcher).
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If either foot is completely outside (i.e. NOT touching the 24" width at all) the 24", it's illegal. You seem hung up on whether the NP foot started inside or outside mattering wrt where it ends up. Keep in mind that 99% of the illegal pitches of this variety are exactly that... NP starting on the pitchers plate, and ending up 6 inches outside the 24" - doing that is illegal.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If either foot is completely outside (i.e. NOT touching the 24" width at all) the 24", it's illegal. You seem hung up on whether the NP foot started inside or outside mattering wrt where it ends up. Keep in mind that 99% of the illegal pitches of this variety are exactly that... NP starting on the pitchers plate, and ending up 6 inches outside the 24" - doing that is illegal.
Thanks for the feedback. Our pitcher starts well inside the 24" but her heel hits the line across here body when she throws a curve or change up. I was just concerned about 80% of her foot being out at delivery towards the plate. We actually put a line down to see how much or if she was outside the 24". We know coaches are going to say something because it is a good pitch and just want to have the facts that her foot touching the imaginary line constitutes a legal pitch. We don't have the lines on the field in our state for HS.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Also....it is a pitching plate....not a rubber.....you would not want a British person to mistake your "rubber" for an eraser......

Joel
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Also....it is a pitching plate....not a rubber.....you would not want a British person to mistake your "rubber" for an eraser......

Joel
I can live with coaches calling the pitching plate the rubber - after all, if you order one on line for your field, it's called a rubber on many sites.

What kills me are those that still say, "on the mound" in softball. I see no mound!

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can live with coaches calling the pitching plate the rubber - after all, if you order one on line for your field, it's called a rubber on many sites.

What kills me are those that still say, "on the mound" in softball. I see no mound!
The ignorance of on-line sales really shouldn't be a viable excuse. That is not really different than deciding interference and obstruction are interchangeable, or a foul tip back to the screen is acceptable language by umpires because enough other people don't know the difference.

As the people expected to know the proper terms, we are also the people expected to use them. Without exception, so that the proper terms ultimately rub off as common usage.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The ignorance of on-line sales really shouldn't be a viable excuse. That is not really different than deciding interference and obstruction are interchangeable, or a foul tip back to the screen is acceptable language by umpires because enough other people don't know the difference.

As the people expected to know the proper terms, we are also the people expected to use them. Without exception, so that the proper terms ultimately rub off as common usage.
Don't get me wrong... I ALWAYS use the terms pitching plate, circle, etc, and properly use interference/obstruction (and correct people on this one when they say it wrong).

I was just saying that if some coach refers to a rubber in softball, I can live with it. Mound, however, drives me crazy. In fact, last year I had a coach call time, and then ask if he could go to the mound - my answer, "Sure, if you can find one, but the closest mound is over there (pointing to the baseball fields nearby)." He didn't get it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We all have our things that bother us........I tend to not let them bother me too much though......

Joel
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Was watching a college game on TV and one of the talking heads got a silent giggle out of me when he referred to the pitcher's plate as "the slab".
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
We all have our things that bother us........I tend to not let them bother me too much though......

Joel
Hear, Hear!
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

It still disappoints me that I did not buy you a beer last June when I was in Tempe......oh well.......I cooked some ribs instead of looking you up.....that was my bad.

Joel