The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This brings up an interesting dilemma that I've constantly faced through the years. Teams dutifully set up their bats (and for ASA or NFHS play, their batting helmets as well) outside the dugout for us to inspect. But while I check those bats (and helmets), I will look inside and see more bats sticking out of bat bags. When I ask about them, I'm given the usual excuse that those are just batting practice bats that the girls use during pre-game warm-ups, and that they'll stay in the bat bags during the game.

Should we require the players to get rid of the bats completely? Often, the bats belong to visiting teams that have nowhere to adequately secure them during the game (there is no press box, the team's bus is gone, they have no fans in the bleachers to watch over them, etc.)

Do you force the issue, or believe the girls when they tell you those bats will stay in their bags?
For ASA or NFHS, I am not forcing the issue (short of a Qualifier, National in ASA, State Championship in NFHS). There is no absolute rule that non-approved bats cannot be in the dugout; no rule actually applies until a batter enters the batter's box with a non-approved bat. Better to not have them where they can be accidently used, but the rule is what it is. Bat checks are a courtesy, anyway; it is still and always the batter's (and coache's) responsibility, not the umpires'.

In any and all collegiate levels, there is a rule (3.3.2) that no bats (other than approved warm-up bats) may be in any team area nor on the field that are not approved for use in the game. Even fungo bats (that aren't one piece wooden bats) must be removed and not used for team warmups once the umpires enter the field. And we are told these are professional coaches whom we are to treat as professionals; and that cuts both ways.

So, I'm sorry, but no option, Coach; your responsibility to know the rule, the effect, the result, and you are responsible for the actions of your team. Remove any and all bats that you are not submitting for game use approval. Your problem if you didn't make appropriate arrangements.

Refusal to do so is an ejection, and we still don't play until your team complies, forfeit if you don't; and an incident report.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 07:43am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Remove any and all bats that you are not submitting for game use approval.
Steve, are you saying that we are supposed to inspect even the warm-up bats that players may end up using in the on-deck circle?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve, are you saying that we are supposed to inspect even the warm-up bats that players may end up using in the on-deck circle?
NCAA rules (3.4) do not allow illegal, altered, or nonapproved bats in the on-deck circle. Only approved bats, or non-altered one piece wooden bats (softball or baseball). No other "warm-up" bats or devices.

So, there is no excuse for any other bat to be in any team area. Not in the dugout, bullpen, on-deck circle. Just those checked and accounted for in the team's bat list for that game (3.3.2).

Keeps it simple and clear. And 3.3.2 makes it clear the coach is the one responsible for the team's bat list.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

...If they show up at the plate with an illegal bat, they pay the penalty - it's that simple.
This should be the be all and end all of this particular issue.

We (umpires) should not have to check bats and/or helmets prior to the game starting, IMHO.....
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We (umpires) should not have to check bats and/or helmets prior to the game starting, IMHO.....
I agree. In fact, our colleagues in NCAA baseball no longer have to check bats during pregame.

Unfortunately, NCAA softball still requires us to do so. I'm just trying to gain an understanding on which bats do we check. The six to twelve bats that are lined up outside the dugout are a no-brainer. It's the ten additional bats I see in batbags in the back of the dugout that the girls claim they use for warm-ups that I'm trying to understand if I should check them, or have them removed from the area.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. In fact, our colleagues in NCAA baseball no longer have to check bats during pregame.

Unfortunately, NCAA softball still requires us to do so. I'm just trying to gain an understanding on which bats do we check. The six to twelve bats that are lined up outside the dugout are a no-brainer. It's the ten additional bats I see in batbags in the back of the dugout that the girls claim they use for warm-ups that I'm trying to understand if I should check them, or have them removed from the area.
If it's an NCAA game:

Walking into the dugout for bat check...

Crew: "Coach those bats that are in the batbags, we'll need them taken out and brought over here so we can check them."

Coach: "Those are [fill in the reason/excuse/rationale] bats, we don't use those in a game."

Crew: "Coach, if they're not going to be used in the game, by rule, you're going to have to remove those bats from the dugout for both games."

Coach: "OK Blue, we'll get them out of here right now."

Crew: "Thank you, coach."

Piece of cake......begin your bat check.

Last edited by KJUmp; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:45am.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Read rule 3-3-2
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This should be the be all and end all of this particular issue.

Well, it is known as the Fram Oil Filter Scenario......you can check it now as a group or you can deal with it one at a time at the plate.

First time I worked an AF Championship and all bats were tested and marked and the players were programed to come to the plate and show you the mark every time up, made life easy, very easy for the umpire.

Try getting that done on a regular game of any organization at any level.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
If it's an NCAA game:

Walking into the dugout for bat check...

Crew: "Coach those bats that are in the batbags, we'll need them taken out and brought over here so we can check them."

Coach: "Those are [fill in the reason/excuse/rationale] bats, we don't use those in a game."

Crew: "Coach, if they're not going to be used in the game, by rule, you're going to have to remove those bats from the dugout for both games."

Coach: "OK Blue, we'll get them out of here right now."

Crew: "Thank you, coach."

Piece of cake......begin your bat check.
Good script, cryptic me was just going to post "have them removed from the area."