The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I got through my first weekend of JUCO basketball this weekend. The speed and strength of the players was a big adjustment I had to make early, but I felt after the first half game I did a nice job. I think what I liked the most is that the players and especially coaches have a much better understanding of the game and how we see the game. Our last game of the day was a couple of out of state schools and it got really ugly. 3 unsportsmanlike T's, one excessive time out T, and a player ejection in a game that was 2-4 points the whole way. We called a ton of off ball fouls, but the players were just beating the crap out of each other. I'm glad I was working with a really good, experienced JUCO guy in that one. It was great to see how he handled things, the players, and the coaches. I learned alot and hopefully didn't look like the total new guy to that level that I was.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Junker - congrats on the successful weekend! It's always a learning experience when you work w/ officials that are better/have more experience. The pace of the game and the athletic ability on the floor force you to really concentrate on the game. During my first college game I remember thinking - "will this half ever end?" and realizing that I didn't say one word to or hear from either coach.

If you get hired, great! If not, you've gotten an "up close" look at your next goal. Treat every game you do this season as a college game - be a pro; do what the college refs do, and hold yourself to a higher standard.

Just my two cents worth.........
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jeff. I didn't really go in thinking I'd get hired the first time out. I just wanted to see what the games were like and do a good job. I now feel like working that level is a realistic goal for me in the hopefully near future. There is no substitute for experience and I think I need some more seasoning before I go up to that level (I'm in my 6th year of officiating overall). I would be very suprised if I got any games this time around, but I don't think I did anything that would damage my chances of getting hired later. Even though the last game sucked, it was a good learning experience and working that level was great time.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Junker - congrats as well. It's always good to feel appreciated enough to move up the ladder.

One thing to remember, for whatever it's worth - I've been told by several different supervisors that once you get up to certain level, everyone pretty much knows the game, has decent judgement, etc. But what separates the good officials from the great ones is how they handle people, whether it's coaches, players, AD's, supervisors, and so on.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Couldn't agree more M&M. I was really glad to work that crappy game at the end with a very good official. I learned alot by working with him through a terribly physical, borderline out of control game. It was by far the worst I've been involved in. I thought we handled it about as well as we could have. I probably should have tossed a player in the first half, and after working a game like that, I know I will for sure the next time it happens. Player A d's up B near the sideline, in front of the bench. He bodied up B and I called the push. After the initial contact, A gives B a two handed shove oob for some reason. I should have tossed him, but as I hit my whistle, his coach was already all over him and gettting a sub in. I trusted that the coach was handling it, so I didn't give A the boot. Looking back I should have and next time (hopefully never, but realistically it will happen) I will toss a player in a similar situation.