The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
If the tag is made (at 2B) before the run scores, and then, seconds later, F6 (who made the tag) states to me something to the effect that "you did see her completely miss the base, right?"... should that be upheld as an appeal?
Meaning, the statement is made after the run scores...
Seconds after? No, I don't think so. Immediately after, I can see.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:20pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
But in that case, would it be a fourth out or a third out.
Only if the defense makes it clear that they are tagging the runner to appeal the miss of second base, and not because she's simply off the base. And I don't see how they can do that in this situation, since the runner is scrambling back to the bag.

That's the fundamental problem with ASA not recognizing the advantageous fourth out for anyone other than the scoring runner. It essentially penalizes the defense for making tag plays during "unrelaxed" action that umpires would never recognize as appeals.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Only if the defense makes it clear that they are tagging the runner to appeal the miss of second base, and not because she's simply off the base. And I don't see how they can do that in this situation, since the runner is scrambling back to the bag.

That's the fundamental problem with ASA not recognizing the advantageous fourth out for anyone other than the scoring runner. It essentially penalizes the defense for making tag plays during "unrelaxed" action that umpires would never recognize as appeals.
I meant if we were counting it as a legit appeal, how many outs would there be?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Because on the play at 2nd, it's not obviously an appeal --- as there is another perfectly valid reason to be tagging the runner... she's off the base and liable to be put out. Nothing make it clear that the fielder is appealing the miss, but rather she's simply tagging a player.

At first, the runner is NOT in jeopardy of a normal tag for overrunning the base, so the tag of that player IS obviously an appeal of the miss.
Playing devil's advocate.

Most, if not all, of the times that F3 would tag a BR (now R) that has overrun first base is to appeal an attempt to second. So, I don't think that appeal is obvious, at all; and if appealing the wrong thing, the appeal should be denied!!

How do you differentiate THAT appeal (where the run would score even if you honored it) from an appeal of a missed base (where the run would not score)? Don't you have to ask what F3 is appealing?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:36pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Most, if not all, of the times that F3 would tag a BR (now R) that has overrun first base is to appeal an attempt to second. So, I don't think that appeal is obvious, at all; and if appealing the wrong thing, the appeal should be denied!!

How do you differentiate THAT appeal (where the run would score even if you honored it) from an appeal of a missed base (where the run would not score)? Don't you have to ask what F3 is appealing?
FWIW, I've always thought it was bogus to consider tagging a BR who made an attempt to go to second base as an appeal. Why not just consider it a normal tag play of a runner off the base? If it were really an appeal, then a tag of the runner or the base should be honored. But a tag of first base for a BR who attempted to advance to second is not going to retire that runner. And as you point out, honoring that appeal has no bearing on determining when runs score.

That said, tags of BRs overrunning first base almost always comes with some sort of comment by the defense. You'll either hear, "TAG HER! SHE TURNED FOR SECOND!" or "TAG HER! SHE MISSED THE BAG!" Wouldn't hearing the latter comment, and/or clearly seeing from the BR's reaction that she KNEW she missed the bag be enough to indicate the tag is an appeal?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

I was replying to Manny, who had asked about appealing a batter who had missed first and why the difference between that and the OP. I agree that it must be obviously an appeal of a miss, and not just a guess that the runner had made a move to second (or heaven forbid, TURNED LEFT instead of right).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 01:20pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I meant if we were counting it as a legit appeal, how many outs would there be?
In ASA, you can only have one out on the runner. It's either going to be a third out for a "normal" tag while off the bag, or a third out for an "appeal" tag.

And the defense has to make it clear which one it is at the time of the tag. They can't tag her and then say afterwards, "By the way, Blue, that tag was to appeal her miss of the bag," as they're trotting off the field toward the dugout.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Seconds after? No, I don't think so. Immediately after, I can see.
I agree as long as immediate (milliseconds.......)........or while applying the tag.....then it is unmistakable......

I hate to use a BB term here.....but just tagging a runner who overslid a bag is not an appeal but an attempt at an out "during continuous action"......unless it includes some verbiage indicating it is an appeal.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 01:27pm.