The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Force out at 1B?

We all know that a put-out of the batter-runner at 1B is not a force out. Or do we?

For 60 years the ASA rule stated that a batter-runner was put out by tagging with the ball, or by tagging the base. Now it just says that the B-R is legally put out before reaching 1B. It is assumed that we automatically know how to get the B-R out. But old or new rule, the word "force" doesn't exist.

A Runner off base can be put out by being tagged with the ball, or by tagging the base on a "force" play.

We don't score a run on the 3rd out of the inning if the B-R is put out prior to 1B, or another runner is forced. Obviously there is a difference in rules for a B-R and a Runner, and there is no "force out" on a B-R.

BUT . . . . . . . .

Take a look at ASA double first base rules and you see the word "force" at 1B. ASA test #24 says that a put-out at 1B is a "force play."

So - is a put-out at 1B a force out? Or is this just bad typing?

WMB
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, and this caused a big nasty argument on test day on which I was the ONLY person who insisted there was no correct answer, specifically because of the use of the term "force out."
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I hope you guys put as much into the game as you do here.

For as long as I can remember, the term "force" or "force out" has been used on tests, in clinics and general discussion as a matter of convenience and I think both of you know that.

It's no different than either of you using the term "BR rounded 1B" or the "BR was put out sliding into 2B", both of which we all know is not possible.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I see your point. However, I believe it was the 2002 or 2003 test that I missed exactly one question on - and it was because I assumed that throwing the BR out at first WAS a force out, and within the framework of the question, it wasn't.

When you spend so many years taking tests that are designed to trick you by wordsmithing (not just ASA, but Fed, NCAA, football, softball, baseball, you name it), you pick up on such an anomaly and your brain immediately knows it when it sees it.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Are there ary situations where the distinction matters? (aside from correct answers to test question)...

I know of one where it might matter, but even then, I don't think it actually does.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I hope you guys put as much into the game as you do here.

For as long as I can remember, the term "force" or "force out" has been used on tests, in clinics and general discussion as a matter of convenience and I think both of you know that.

It's no different than either of you using the term "BR rounded 1B" or the "BR was put out sliding into 2B", both of which we all know is not possible.
Uh, why is it not possible for the BR to round 1B or to be put out sliding into 2B? By NFHS rules the BR remains such until playing action ends. Is it different under other codes?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Uh, why is it not possible for the BR to round 1B or to be put out sliding into 2B? By NFHS rules the BR remains such until playing action ends. Is it different under other codes?
Speaking ASA

A batter-runner is no longer a batter-runner once retired or reaches 1B safely.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
I have the same question as Dakota - Is there an actual game situation where the distinction matters?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Are there ary situations where the distinction matters? (aside from correct answers to test question)...

I know of one where it might matter, but even then, I don't think it actually does.
A BR may not back up to avoid a tag, a runner may.

On a play from fair territory, the BR must use the colored portion of 1B if there is a play at 1B, the runner is not required to do so.

A BR may run through the bag to which they are advancing becoming a runner, a runner may not without placing themselves into jeopardy.

A BR can be ruled out for creating interference with a ball thrown to 1B without it being intentional, a runner must intentionally interfere with a thrown ball for INT to be ruled.

Just a couple off the top of my head.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A BR may not back up to avoid a tag, a runner may.

On a play from fair territory, the BR must use the colored portion of 1B if there is a play at 1B, the runner is not required to do so.

A BR may run through the bag to which they are advancing becoming a runner, a runner may not without placing themselves into jeopardy.

A BR can be ruled out for creating interference with a ball thrown to 1B without it being intentional, a runner must intentionally interfere with a thrown ball for INT to be ruled.

Just a couple off the top of my head.
Sounds like you are addressing the distinction between a runner and a BR. I meant the distinction of whether the out at 1B is or is not a force out.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

If the out at 1B was a force, it would save a few words in the rule about when a run scores on the third (or fourth) out. The only difference I can think of in your more specific question is that the batter-runner at first is not put back in jeopardy (like a force) if s/he returns past the base (at first, that would usually be thinking the ball was called foul, for example).

I, for one, would be perfectly happy if the definistion of a force play included the BR at 1B, and it was all more consistent. But, it isn't, as discussed on the NFHS board.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Sounds like you are addressing the distinction between a runner and a BR. I meant the distinction of whether the out at 1B is or is not a force out.
I responded to the following question:

Are there ary situations where the distinction matters?

Maybe the question should have been "is there any situation when the result of retiring the BR prior to reaching 1B is different than a runner forced to a base."

The answer to that, I believe, is no.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Thanks, Steve. That answered my question.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I responded to the following question:

Are there ary situations where the distinction matters?

Maybe the question should have been "is there any situation when the result of retiring the BR prior to reaching 1B is different than a runner forced to a base."

The answer to that, I believe, is no.
Yeah, I realized that, so I clarified my question.

Steve's situation was the only one I could think of, and even that one does not make any difference since the BR has no base to return to, so even if the play on the BR at 1B was defined as a force, the reinstatement of the force rule would not apply.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

In some rule book in the future they will clarify 1B to be a force like they clarified BoB to not be "without liability to be put out".

Nuance of words that means little except nit picking amongst ourselves and umpires -

every 7 y/o T ball player knows that BR to 1B is a force out (ie touch base or tag); I certainly would never try to explain to a coach that the play at 1B wasnt a force because of lame rule wording that doesnt include that play.