The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Cool Adult softball

They put so much money into their bats. What they really need is new gloves.

The balls keep bouncing out!

Rita
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yet I'm sure it was a bang-bang play at XX base that cost them the game, not the fact that they dropped every other hit ball right???
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Yet I'm sure it was a bang-bang play at XX base that cost them the game, not the fact that they dropped every other hit ball right???
It was the same two teams I had last week. I had the managers together and said, "If there is a question on the rules tonight, I will answer it if it comes from you and you only. There won't be any umpiring by committee."

They understood, complied and had much more fun.

It's the way it should be.

Rita
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 07:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

I refuse to do adult softball. Heck, I hated it when I played. I sure as heck don't want to subject myself to the pains of umpiring it.

Besides, I just don't look good in shorts...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I did some years and years ago-on the condition that My partner and I would dress like umpires.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

No one wants me to umpire in shorts.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

You don't have to umpire SP in shorts but I sure do enjoy it better than pants when it's 100+ degrees out.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
You don't have to umpire SP in shorts but I sure do enjoy it better than pants when it's 100+ degrees out.
Hot here is 85. Usual about 66

Rita
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Rita, were you around in the days when . . . what was his user name . . . Ed, used to talk about "alleged adults" or AAs? That's what you're dealing with.

I think that was in the eTeamz days. I wonder whatever happened to Ed; I used to enjoy his stories of practicing how to judge pitch arc, involving a ten foot pole and his cap.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 08:49am

I've done (Alleged) Adult SP for 28 years. Sure, it's had its moments. But by-and-large, I have enjoyed it ... until this year.

I have worked 7 nights for a total of 28 games and I've had 4 ejections. I haven't had 4 ejections in SP for the previous 10 years combined!!

I had one player spit in my direction, one player tell me to read the rule book, one player tell me to go back to my position and do my job, and another player question my integrity.

I work 4 more SP games next week. I'm pretty sure those will be the last four slow pitch games of my career.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I've done (Alleged) Adult SP for 28 years. Sure, it's had its moments. But by-and-large, I have enjoyed it ... until this year.

I have worked 7 nights for a total of 28 games and I've had 4 ejections. I haven't had 4 ejections in SP for the previous 10 years combined!!

I had one player spit in my direction, one player tell me to read the rule book, one player tell me to go back to my position and do my job, and another player question my integrity.

I work 4 more SP games next week. I'm pretty sure those will be the last four slow pitch games of my career.
Hang in there...it's just the law of averages catching up......
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've done (Alleged)
(Snip)

And then you come here and have to put up with harassing umpires who wear shorts!!!
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
Rita, were you around in the days when . . . what was his user name . . . Ed, used to talk about "alleged adults" or AAs? That's what you're dealing with.

I think that was in the eTeamz days. I wonder whatever happened to Ed; I used to enjoy his stories of practicing how to judge pitch arc, involving a ten foot pole and his cap.
Ed was even pre-eTeamz....a board called McGriffs.....totally unregulated and un-moderated...no registration was required...great for awhile, until too many people started taking advantage of those facts.

Ed has some great AA stories....and his pole was 11 feet long, if I remember correctly.....
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Or maybe you should have been ejecting them the previous 10 years, but weren't.

I have no problem with them, though they may have a problem with me because I umpire as an umpire, not the GAGA they want out there.

Last night, had a guy point to the ground where the ball hit and demanded I explain how I called that a strike. Told him I didn't care. He says, "Obviously not". I just smiled and said "play".

You just cannot take them seriously and when they cross the line, no matter how important the game or subs they have (or don't have) in the dugout, you dump them.

I'm not there to make friends and if they don't like me, I don't care.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:07pm

Irish:
I think you hit on something right there. I'm not the GAGA they usually get.

Over the past 4 or 5 years, I only worked 3 or 4 nights a season. Now that my oldest doesn't play baseball anymore, I've had some more free time and got to work more nights than in the recent past.

During those past few years, the leagues here have deteriorated to the point where most umpires allow players to be outside of the dugouts during play, hang their bags in the fence in play, and generally let the inmates run the asylum. I don't come from that school. I go out there and bust my hump to be in the best position possible every play.

I have no problem dumping players when they decide they don't want to be there for the night any longer. The problem is, very few others take care of business.