Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
Question

2 Questions:

1. Guy is fouled with .5 Secs left before half. Shooting one and one. I cleared the lane. Is that a bad call?

2. Shooter on a fast break. Defensive player slaps his hand. I immediately blow my whistle. While players momentum takes them out of bounds, offensive player throws the ball in the back of the defensive player. I call a Technical on offensive player. Any comments will help.

I did learn one thing though. I am retiring from adult men league officiating.

s/f
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rburn22281
2 Questions:

1. Guy is fouled with .5 Secs left before half. Shooting one and one. I cleared the lane. Is that a bad call?

2. Shooter on a fast break. Defensive player slaps his hand. I immediately blow my whistle. While players momentum takes them out of bounds, offensive player throws the ball in the back of the defensive player. I call a Technical on offensive player. Any comments will help.

s/f
1. Yes. Should have let players line up as long as there is time on the clock.

2. "The hand is part of the ball" - this probably shouldn't have been a foul in the first place. Having said this, the technical foul is definitely warrented.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
2 Questions:

Yes. Why would you clear the lane? How did you finish the half if he missed either shot?

Quote:
Why call a foul? Accidentally hitting the hand while trying to play the ball is not a foul.

Good call on the T, possible ejection.
Old Wed May 22, 2002, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Two questions back atcha

Quote:

(1) Is this a running clock league? If so, you're best to just clear the lane and turn off the clock rather than have everyone line up, horn, then reset (unless there are league rules to the contrary).

(2) You said the foul was with 0.5 left. Did the clock stop at 0.5, or did it expire?
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 12:10am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
2 Questions:

s/f
2 Questions:

1. Why are you doing jerkball?
2. Why did it take so long for you to quit doing jerkball?
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

There is no such thing as "ADULT" men's league. My younger son (27) and several of his friends have joined an "adult" league that I officiate (actually a pretty good/competitive league), and he asked me if I would be doing any of his games. I told him he better hope not because his mom will not be there to "defend" him.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

2. "The hand is part of the ball" - this probably shouldn't have been a foul in the first place.

Not necessarily as a blanket statement right? I don't have my rulebook with me, but doesn't it say that slapping the hand is only a "non-foul" if the offensive player is holding or dribbling the ball or something to that effect?

Z
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
Okay my bad on saying only the hand, but it was actually more of the wrist. It was definately a foul. I was just wondering about the play after the whistle.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
[BNot necessarily as a blanket statement right? I don't have my rulebook with me, but doesn't it say that slapping the hand is only a "non-foul" if the offensive player is holding or dribbling the ball or something to that effect?

Z [/B]
No such restriction (holding or dribbling) is in the rule.

Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While players momentum takes them out of bounds, offensive player throws the ball in the back of the defensive player.
Here's another take...

I have played in and seen "adult" leagues where the officiating was so bad (present company excluded)that the players would keep going no matter how much contact there was.

Did the offensive player throw the ball out of anger at being fouled, or did he throw it with the intent of deflecting it off of the defensive player to regain possesion on an out of bounds call?

If thrown in anger, definite "T"..If not..then play on.

Quote:

Speaking from personal experience...this is a wise decision.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

My question why give up men's leagues?
I agree that sometimes they are a pain in the *&^, but this is where you get experience.

Would you have learned to play the 1+1? or learned about the T call in a high school game?

You screw up in a rec game it is not nearly as big a problem as messing up in a HS game. You'll be under a lot more scrutiny in HS.

Do men's games, just dont put up with the extraneous crap. heck I have no problem with Drake and my reputation that we have the quickest triggers in the west when it comes to T's in rec ball. Maybe they'll learn to shut up!
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 Questions:

s/f

1. As others have said, it is not the correct call. Why? Because the ball becomes playable if A1 (the shooter) misses the first shot when it touches/or is touched by a player. An A team member could get the rebound and sink a basket before the horn sounds. Same holds for the second shot of a 1 + 1. It is conceivable, but not probable, that B could score off of the missed shot.

2. Don’t get caught in the hand is part of the ball trap. The hand is only part of the ball if the ball is touching the hand. This takes place mostly when A1 is shooting or is holding the ball. On a dribble make darn sure that the ball and A1 hand is in contact when B1 hits A1 hand. Think of the advantage B1 would gain if he/she were allowed to whack A1’s hand away from path the returning ball because “The hand is part of the ball.”

2.1 Without seeing the play I am not sure what you are saying. Is the throwing back of the ball and the momentum out of bounds all part of the same play? Or, did the player gain possession of the ball (a one play/situation) and then throw it into the back of the other player. (A two play/situation)

If the going out of bounds and the throwing/flinging/scooping/batting the ball back onto the court is all part of the one play/situation AND you do not feel that A1 tried to hit B1 the I would have a “No Call”

The key for me is the intent of the throw. Was it a deliberate action? In the 2-play/situation scenario it most likely was, if so, a T is warranted. BUT if not, I would have a no call. Plus, a game management problem.

[Edited by RecRef on May 23rd, 2002 at 03:40 PM]
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Oops, I saw ADULT and I guess it wasn't the ADULT I thought it was! Having said that, calling the slap on the hand in Rec Ball is probably a good thing. It made a smacking sound and they were probably clamoring for you to call "something" As for the ball be thrown at the player, I must agree and say that if the player was just trying to save the ball no big whoop
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not necessarily as a blanket statement right? I don't have my rulebook with me, but doesn't it say that slapping the hand is only a "non-foul" if the offensive player is holding or dribbling the ball or something to that effect?
Z

No such restriction (holding or dribbling) is in the rule.

OK, found it (Rule 4-24-2): The rule is that the players hand must still be in contact with the ball when the defender hits the hand.

"It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled by a dribbler or a player throwing for goal or a player holding it and accidentally hitting the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball."

Old Fri May 24, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

R,
You started a monster here.

In response to Mark's question: The clock was stopped with .5 seconds. Probably the only time this season that the clock was stopped correctly (per the league guidelines).

I am inclined to agree with you on the retiring aspect. Haven't decided yet. I have decided that my son will not attend their summer youth b-ball camp. How can they teach sportsmanship when their actions are totally opposite? Unless they are taching only skills and techniques and sportsmanship is no longer a factor in the game.
This is a small town and everyone knows everyone (Most of the players in this league are our kids teachers). Having said that, they have a hard time understanding that there are players and there are officials on the court. I have found that dealing with the youth league and those kids' parents is far more enjoyable than listening to a bunch of grown men complain about everything. Last night I even gave my rule book to one of the players so he could "research" his plea. Strange though, he preferred not to look it up, but to continue his ranting.

Oh, BTW, enjoy the championship game. I'll think about ya'll while I am traveling.