The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Been contemplating doing slo pitch adult. Coed and low level men or women. Anyone got any opinions on making this move?

I don't know if dealing with "adults" is worth the effort and time but I like umping and want to get in as many games as I can to improve.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I do both and while I get more enjoyment out of umping the kids, I do enjoy Adult ball.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Low-level men and coed SP can be fun, especially if the players are out for a good time, don't take themselves too seriously, and have nothing to prove. But in my experience those levels often contain the rule experts, hotheads, and bullies who never played past Little League but think they're in the Majors, if you know what I mean.

[Edited by greymule on Jul 22nd, 2004 at 11:16 AM]
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Do as much different softball as you can at all levels. it WILL make you a better umpire.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Do as much as you can but over the past 20 years I have found you will get more whining about your strike zone in one game of slow pitch than a weekend of Fast Pitch.

I can promise "Big Bubba" will complain if you set it on a tee.

Umpiring softball is like *** it is all good, some just better than others.

The Bagman
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Goforit, Sacto.

Better to wait for THEM to ask YOU, though. That way, they'll appreciate you more.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Totally agree with "bagman". The more competitive co-ed games have Testosterone issues I hate to put up with. Love these big guys who only hit the ball to the little girl in right field, then brag about their fantastic homer.
Go for it !
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
I call both. I love the kids that play in the rec league, but I hate it when they are just starting 8-11 yrs old and i'm behind the plate it goes by so slow, just get the ball over and in between the inside batters box so I can call a strike. ha ha

But for the adults, you got guys that love to play and you got guys that play and don't know the rules. but for the co-ed teams yeah you might hit the balls to the girls in the outfield, and might get a homer, but if you hit it over here to the girls playing here. You may be suprise. These girls here can play some softball. I know 2 teams that have ladies playing and they can play!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Yeah me and the Bagman called many adult SP games together, and boy, do the guys whine!! I guess of all the folks (coaches and players) I ejected in 17, most of them were from Men's SP out of rec leagues. Had to give it up, so did Bagman. Out of all the adult ball I called, I enjoyed Men's MP the most.
But, it's great experience, so go for it! Do as much different levels and types as possible. During my time, I called kids and adults rec SP, kids rec FP, girl's travel 'A' and 'B' FP, girl's travel 'A' SP, men's modified rec and tournament ball. (we don't have women's MP around here, wish we did) I called SP from 1986-1995, then went exclusively to Girl's travel FP after 1995 14U National in Chattanooga, called NFHS FP JV and V from 1995-2001.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

See you There on Wednesday afternoon and early evening, have a great time and even better tournament.

The Bagman
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 01:36pm
goldcoastump

Hey Bagman, I knew it was you by the name. This is your buddy from DSUA(Greg) I am in Jesup Ga now. Hope to see you at the 18u Gold. I am packing my stuff now. I can't wait!! I agree totally about the whinning in Adult Slowpitch. I will probably go through the whole Gold tournament without an argument. But its not hard when the pitchers are throwing BB's. See ya soon.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldcoastump
This is your buddy from DSUA(Greg) I am in Jesup Ga now.
Delaware Softball Umpire Association? Yep, there will be one of those at the gold.

Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Mike.

DSUA is Duluth Softball Umpires Assocition headquartered in Duluth Georgia, about 35 miles NE of Atlanta. We are almost exclusive Youth Fast Pitch, to find out more about us go to our website http://www.theumpireshop.com/, our UIC is one of the Administrative UIC's at the 18 Gold

The Bagman
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Bagman, you're going out on Wednesday? I might just go on out then too! Look for me!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

SactoBlue, I just started adult SP this year and have had hardly any chirping. I think it's mostly because they don't know me and don't know what they can get away with. I've been very short with those who want to whine, asking them "if they want to finish the game?" and I try to practice good mechanics so they figure maybe I have part of a clue.

If you're new to the park, then they don't know you and so you probably walk in with the "watch out for the new guy" reputation.

Good Luck