The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Yes, been there. OH Yeah.

Last night. Mens A FP. Bottom of Seven. Tied game. 1 Out. bases loaded. Ball hit to short stop, he bobbles, picks it up and touches second (2 outs). Runner from third scores and instead of throwing ball to first for force and making for a longer game, he runs after R2 who was on second and tags him. R1 on third already scores before tag. PU scores run. Game over. Second Baseman run's up and slams his chest into PU and pushes him backwards 4-5 feet. Teams hate each other and they are now in a scuffle. I force my way through the pile and bee-line for the 2 guys butting chests with my partner. I slam into both of them and push them back 8 feet and boy did they turn into little pansies. They were about 5'6 each and 140 lbs. I am 6'1 and 220 lbs. Then they had the nads to approach us and 8 other umpires after the game and try to get into a scuffle again.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

There is indeed something in the air. Many outrageous occurrences over the past few weeks.

I do know that the next time somebody so much as pushes an ump around here, our association is going to see that charges are filed.

I'm constantly aware that, even in a game that seems uneventful, a riot could be only one call or play away. I've seen too many explosions over the years.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

In that this thread has gone on for awhile, it's time to add my story.

Last weekend, 14U tournament. Thur/Fri pool play, everyone (fans, players, umpires, coaches) having a good time; getting along great. Sat is Championship day and the mood changes. Fans are yelling on every call, coaches are complaining about strike zones ("Same zone I had Friday, Coach!").

R1 gets too far off 1B and F2 fires shot to F3. R1 starts for 2B, F3 throws to F4, R1 heads back and F4 throws past F3 into DBT. I call DB, move R1 to 3B. Def. coach is screaming "why is that dead ball?" "Cuz I called it dead, Coach!"

Then he wants to see where F3 retrieved ball from and I say OK. (I am really trying to pacify people and get through this day.) F3 walks him to fence and points to spot. Then he cames back to me and says runner should be on 2B. "One plus One" he says. "Base she was going to (1B), plus one."

And then "you don't know the rules; we have played a lot of games this year and that is always the way it it called."

He's not buying my version of the rules, so finally I say "OK, Coach, let's play by your rules. She was going back to 1B so she gets that base, and the next one back." I pointed to home and waved R1 to come in.

Coach turned purple! "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" "You're right, Coach. I don't like your rules, let's play by ASA rules. Two bases from time of throw; she is on third - and you are in the dugout. Right now!"

Of course that runner scored on a wild pitch. Team made many mistakes: F3 threw too quick on the run-down, F4 threw wild back to F3, and F1 threw wild pitch. But it's my fault they lost the game!

WMB
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

WMB-----

ROFMAO---that was great!!! I would have loved to have seen the coach's face!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995