The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There are many "rising and setting stars" with minimal knowledge or ability.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I know I posted this one on eteam can't remember if I put them here.

1) Play at plate (ball on the way, ends up there 1/2 second after runner touches plate) Runner comes in standing and touches back part of plate no contact, I get the "she's got to slide" routine.

2) Same situation put R1 at 3rd batter hits to pitcher who makes play at 1st R1 off with the throw. Again catcher infront of plate, runner is way early at plate but throw is off line and catcher moves into R1 as she has just touched the plate (note ball almost hits me in right hand box extended) Coach comes out of dugout insisting I call her out as there was contact. After a good talk he decides it's time to get to the dugout.

3) THIS is the best. Hit to deep right field, I am BU move into infield and follow runner to third. At second ss is standing on outside of 2nd with heal barely touching outside of base waiting for throw from outfield. Runner touches inside corner, never breaks stride never even knew ss was there. Now all is good and as ball gets to pitcher I start to my position, I hear "Blue, if there is no play at second my runner gets 6 feet." I say "What??" trying not to laugh. He repeats, "Ya, if there is no play we get 6 feet." I was laughing on the inside the rest of the game!!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Angry

AlabamaBlue,
You know, as soon as I sent that I realized I had the wrong age. I only added that for those not familiar with Dixie Girls divisions. We had combined Belles/Debs teams this past season and I pulled it out of my head instead of looking it up. Of course, you guys know all us coaches just pull stuff out of our heads anyway!!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I was just messing around, don't take me serious whatever you do
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
OK, my turn!

Dixie girls Belles (16U).
Pitch hits the dirt in front of plate and then hits the batter on the leg.
PU calls dead ball and does not award first base. I discuss the situation. He tells me if the ball hits the ground first, it's a dead ball and batter does not get first base????
BU comes in and he agrees with the PU. I shake my head and return to the dugout.
If this had been late innings and game was on the line, I probably would have wound up in the parking lot.
Got a lot of laughs and disbelief from other umpires when I told the story afterwards.
"Blue, if the pitch hits the ground and gets past the catcher, may the runners attempt to advance"? "Or are there no passed balls or wild pitches if the pitch hits the ground"?

Bob
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Okay - here's one of my favorites.

Top of the 1st - full count. Pitch comes in nose high. Ball 4. Defensive coach goes nuts. "Oh come on. That pitch was to close not to swing." "Ump, you've got to open up your strike zone." And then, "Ump, can I have time - I want to talk with you." "Not if it's about my strike zone." "I guess I can't have time then." "Guess not."

-Kono
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

A passed ball was the first point I made with the umpire. I was willing to forgive the PU but when the BU agreed with him, I figured I better just get through the game and keep my mouth shut. Game was well in hand anyway. Strange but I never did see that pair again all season.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Some of my colleagues work regularly in the PAC-10. One of my buddies told me this story:

Pac-10 game, big rivalry, my buddy is on the plate. First pitch comes in knee-high, outside corner. PU calls strike.

From the offensive dugout comes:

C'MON BLUE, BE CONSISTANT!
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I love that, or "call it both ways" after the first out on the bases.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Church League Co-ed on Sunday Night.

Lady 3rd baseman for one team. Runner on Second and First. Ball hit to the 3rd baseman.

She bobbles the ball while trying to field it and make a move toward 3rd base. Guy runner from 2b "SLIDES" into 3rd feet first. Ball gets loose.

Coach of defensive team, "C'mon Blue you have to do something about the contact at 3rd." I turned and said "what are you talking about" to the coach. The coach said that he shouldn't slide so hard because she is a "Girl." I couldn't believe it.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Reply: Mo99

I must have umped that coach's twin this evening. Same play - same response comes shooting out at me. He tells me the term for it is "lightning." I lmao right on the spot. I told him when I was a kid we used that term in the neighborhood lot. We would grab a stick and take a big lead off first with the stick touching the base - couldn't be tagged out cause we had "lightning." His response . . . "Exactly, that's why she's safe - the foot is lightning." I actually looked for a hidden camera in the trees . . .
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Talking

The ones I like are,

"Blue don't you think we had obstruction/interference
on that play?"

"Coach, did I call obstruction/interference?"

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
... snip ... I replied "yes, but I forgot at the time and I didn't want to inflame the situation any further."
... snip ...
Did you actually forget the runners or really skip a ruling just to avoid:
a) sending the coach
b) getting the message to the pitcher sooner?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I couldnt wait to get on the PC tonight to tell everyone this one.Behind the dish in an 18U Girls Fastpitch game when batter ripped a line drive to left field which hit the foul line.Chalk was freshly applied and the line ran all the way to the fence,so when ball hit the chalk dust really kicked up.I pointed fair and batter-runner made it to second base.Here is the good part!!! Defensive coach called time and came out to ask why ball was ruled fair and not foul.I asked him if he saw the chalk fly where the ball hit the line.He said he saw it but the ball hit on the FOUL SIDE OF THE LINE!!!I told him the ENTIRE chalk line is fair if hit.He looked dumbfounded,shook his head and went back to the bench.WOW!!!

Jeff
NCAA Certified
ASA Certified
NFHS Certified
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy
[B]Some of my colleagues work regularly in the PAC-10. One of my buddies told me this story:

Pac-10 game, big rivalry, my buddy is on the plate. First pitch comes in knee-high, outside corner. PU calls strike.

From the offensive dugout comes:

C'MON BLUE, BE CONSISTANT!

I don't remember which board I saw this on:

First pitch of the game.

PU: Ball one

Defensive Coach: C'MON BLUE, BE CONSISTANT! YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!

PU: Turns to defensive dugout and says: Dunno know coach, this is the first time I've umpired one of your games, for all you know...this may be as good as it gets.

Michael