The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

USFA Tourney this weekend

Had a great time this weekend - 10 games over Sat/Sun.

Highlights: 10U centerfielder charges a ball, fires to first on a rope for the elusive 8-3 out. Batter drills the pitcher on the foot, ball goes straight up, pitcher goes down in pain, ball lands on pitcher and F3 dives for it, catching it just before it hit the ground. Yurout!

Lowlight: Solid 3-2 game, home ahead, visitor desperately trying to get 3 outs before time runs out. Partner signals me to watch the clock as we're down to seconds with 2 outs. Clock runs out as the pitch is in the air. Defense gets the out and partner calls ballgame. VC goes nuts - the new inning starts when the 3rd out is made. Yes, sir - but time was out before that - literally while the pitch is in the air. "Then why didn't you call ballgame?" "Coach, we're not going to call ballgame while a play is going on." Coach comes completely unglued, insisting that if time had expired we are REQUIRED to kill the play immediately. OK, whatever...

That said ... 10 games with only 1 coach outburst, and amazingly well behaved fans all around (in my games at least). A great time had by all.

(On another field, coach wasted the last 10 minutes of a POOL GAME trying to protest a judgement call. a POOL GAME! Good grief, glad that wasn't my game).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
..10U ...Coach comes completely unglued...
Goes without saying...
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lowlight: Solid 3-2 game, home ahead, visitor desperately trying to get 3 outs before time runs out. Partner signals me to watch the clock as we're down to seconds with 2 outs. Clock runs out as the pitch is in the air. Defense gets the out and partner calls ballgame. VC goes nuts - the new inning starts when the 3rd out is made. Yes, sir - but time was out before that - literally while the pitch is in the air. "Then why didn't you call ballgame?" "Coach, we're not going to call ballgame while a play is going on." Coach comes completely unglued, insisting that if time had expired we are REQUIRED to kill the play immediately. OK, whatever....
One of my personal pet peeves, actually. Can anyone cite any softball manual which describes a mechanic to call "ballgame"? I don't know of one; and I don't believe any one has an approved mechanic to state "ballgame", and certainly don't believe the universally misused "end of quarter" football signal is appropriate nor approved.

The only rules that actually apply in ASA are the ones that state "no inning can start after ..." and that a new inning begins "immediately AFTER the final out of the previous inning.

So, to me, anyway, the appropriate mechanic is to walk off the field, while advising the coach that the time to start a new inning expired before the final out was made. Period.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

Where abouts are they playing USFA? I didn't know that existed out this way.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Where abouts are they playing USFA? I didn't know that existed out this way.
USFA is based here (Houston area, at least). Steve G lives/works in Beaumont. This tourney was in Cypress at Dyess.

(And a PS to the above... only meant to say the CF in the first sitch was 10U.)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
USFA is based here (Houston area, at least). Steve G lives/works in Beaumont. This tourney was in Cypress at Dyess.

(And a PS to the above... only meant to say the CF in the first sitch was 10U.)
mb,

I noticed the entry fee is quite low compared to ones in VA area. Are you guys still in the 20 dollar range for a game?

Thanks, Ron

PS. If you see Rodney Smith, say hi to him for me. If he draws a blank, just mention an issue about 5 dollars.
Thanks
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
mb,

I noticed the entry fee is quite low compared to ones in VA area. Are you guys still in the 20 dollar range for a game?
Entry fees are low because the umpires are paid at the plate - the TD or the team running the tourney doesn't pay us.

Quote:

PS. If you see Rodney Smith, say hi to him for me. If he draws a blank, just mention an issue about 5 dollars.
Thanks
I normally only catch him at the clinics, but I will do so.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Snip) (On another field, coach wasted the last 10 minutes of a POOL GAME trying to protest a judgement call. a POOL GAME! Good grief, glad that wasn't my game).
I just had occassion to register with USFA myself ($30. + $10. - for insurance - there was no option to decline)

Did you notice this 2010 "Major Rule Change?

Quote:
6007: Stalling: Umpire has a right to end a conference early if the umpire determines a coach is trying to stall a game. This call will not be questioned or appealed by a coach. Any conference or time out within the last 5 minutes of a timed game will result in the game clock being suspended until play resumes.

Any conference or time out within the last 5 minutes of a timed game will result in the game clock being suspended until play resumes. (This rules applies to any stoppage of play, be it pitching or other position change, coaching conferences, etc.)

We frequently receive feedback from frustrated coaches and parents stating that an opponent jumped out to a lead and then stalled the clock the remainder of the game. This rule was implemented by USFA in attempt to keep the game moving from start to finish and allow the players to get as much playing time in each game as possible...
Interesting
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I just had occassion to register with USFA myself ($30. + $10. - for insurance - there was no option to decline)

Did you notice this 2010 "Major Rule Change?

Interesting
Absolutely. A few years ago, stalling was rampant and led to nothing but outbursts from the offended fans. Now, the only timeouts we got down the stretch were necessary ones. And yes, I stopped the clock every time, and made sure I was visible while doing so.

West Houston Mike