The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Talking Weekend tourney

On Sunday my first game started at 8AM and I'm the PU. During our pre-game conference with the coaches for ground rules I stated "We are using OBR with certain safety youth modifications. No malicious contact is being emphasized." Both coaches stated that they were aware of this. We start the game. In the 2nd inning R1 is on 2nd base and B2 hits a long fly ball to F8 my partner calls no-catch and R1 is off on the touch.

I'm watching the relay throws and know that there is going to be a play at the Plate. The throw beats the runner by at least 30 feet. I have time to get set and watch as R1 is coming home. F2 has the ball and is blocking the Plate. I watch as R1 charges F2 with a football type of charge. Both elbows are out, the fists are on his chest and as contact is made, R1 picks F2 up and dumps him. I call "TIME, that's malicious contact, you are out!" I go and tell the coach that number #8 is ejected for the day. Nobody argues. The coach starts to walk away and then turns back and says, "Blue I think it is only for this game." That's when I remember that the Tourney director said that all ejections were for one game unless there is a fight. Anyway the team looses for the third time and are out of the tourney.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Most leagues have suspension rules after a MC ejection, and some conferences. But youth tournaments don't, in general.

It is probably not proper umpire mechanics, but the first thing I do when I see MC is an emphatic toss. A simple out call will follow. I can count on one hand the number of MC ejections I have made and I enjoyed every one of them. The last time it happened the 3B coach (DAD) came by (3rd out) and said "you were kind of quick with that call" and I said "I could not have been quick enough".

Last edited by DG; Mon May 31, 2010 at 06:24pm.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been told if you are ejecting someone you need to sell it like you would any other tough call,without showing off and being antagonizing.

Anyway- I personally wouldn't get involved with telling a player they are done for the day.If I'm ejecting that one, it is for that game. If they have to sit out anything beyond that, it is up to the league/tournament conveners etc.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

The complex where I call U-trip tourneys has a one game suspension for coaches. That can be over-ridden if the umps invovled agree to it. But in general, if a coach gets dumped he's out for that game plus the next one. I honestly don't know if that holds for the kids as well. In the 5 or 6 years I've been there I've ejected 2 players for MC, one was the final out of the game and I have to admit, when I made the toss it didn't cross my mind that the game was over (I could have called INT, gotten the other out, and been done with it).
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I've always been told if you are ejecting someone you need to sell it like you would any other tough call,without showing off and being antagonizing.
I disagree. I had one ejection during the HS season just concluding, and it was for MC during a play at the plate. Big kid barrels over the skinny F2 who did not have the ball, obvious OBS/MC call. (The runner hit him in the chest so hard he flew up off his feet and landed 3 feet behind the plate; his AD told me the next day that the kid plays football but hasn't hit anyone that hard on the gridiron!)

The D coach came out to attend to his player and didn't say a word to me. The O coach was standing expectantly at his dugout. I paused long enough to replay the scene and remember that MC supersedes OBS. Then walked over and calmly told the O coach, "he's gotta go." He asked about OBS, and I "reminded" him that to get that call, his player still has to slide or go around F2.

Point is: everyone expected the EJ, and no good purpose would have been served by giving a giant "heave ho" signal.

That F2 came out to play the rest of the game, too!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

The few times I have EJ for MC, I give the big emphatic EJ first (like throwing a ball over LF fence) and then call the out later after dust settles. Can't help myself. The big EJ comes first for MC.

If somebody gotta come tell me he gotta go, he ain't going because if I thought so it was INSTANTANEOUS.

The "purpose" of the big EJ is the offending player should not forget it and offensive coach should be wary of coming out to argue it. Wimp out on this call and do injustice to those who follow you.

Last edited by DG; Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 12:04am.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I had two ejections tonight in a varsity summer game, FED rules. R2 tries to score on a base hit with two outs. The catcher is waiting for him with the ball, R2 doesn't try to slide or avoid contact and ends up putting the catcher on his back. I give him a casual "toss" for the MC. The HC comes down from the third base coaches box and can't believe his player has been ejected. After I explain it, he tells me that it's "bull****" which gets him dumped too. As my partner helps get him moving toward the exit, he tells me that I don't know the game and that I shouldn't be working varsity baseball. I didn't come back with anything, just gave him the "Okay" and nod then ignored him.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I had two ejections tonight in a varsity summer game, FED rules. R2 tries to score on a base hit with two outs. The catcher is waiting for him with the ball, R2 doesn't try to slide or avoid contact and ends up putting the catcher on his back.
That's an out, and interference, but there's nothing in your description that indicates it was MC.