The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Weekend Youth Tourney Odd One

Hello Everyone,

Long time reader of the forum, 1st time poster.

Our h.s. hosted a 7th & 8th grade tourney this weekned, which I assigned. I did not see this play, but this morning (Monday) one of the boosters asked me about this, thought I would run it by the forum.

After a delay due to injured player, Team A is inbounding on the baseline in their backcourt. Team B is pressing trying to get back into the game, A2 running along the baseline takes the inbounds pass (confused) immediately goes up for a layup at the wrong basket, and is hammered by defender B1 (also confused). Ball goes in.

Without glancing at the rulebook or casebook I thought:

2 points for Team B, credit basket to nearest player on Team B (B1). Shoot the "and 1" at Team A's proper basket ?

My ref credited the points to Team B, but awarded a 1 & 1 to A2 at the correct basket. A2 missed the front end, the game went on . . . it had no bearing at all on the outcome, no one yelled. This is now a professional curiousity.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 04:39pm
We don't rent pigs

If the foul occurred before the ball went through the basket, the ball is dead, no basket. 1 and 1 at the other end.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

It is not a "try" when A2 throws at B's basket. "A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket." (NFHS 4-41-2). So any foul committed against A2 during this throw is a common foul; there can be no "and 1". And, as JAR mentions above, the ball becomes dead immediately and if the ball subsequently passes through the basket, no points are scored. If A is in the bonus, we march to the other end and shoot the 1&1 (or 2).

As for how to record points scored at an opponent's basket: "If a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it is not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote." (NFHS 5-2-3)

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 04:52pm.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If the foul occurred before the ball went through the basket, the ball is dead, no basket. 1 and 1 at the other end.
And if the foul occurred after the ball went through the basket, the ball is dead so the "foul" is ignored (since it wasn't intentional or flagrant).
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And if the foul occurred after the ball went through the basket, the ball is dead so the "foul" is ignored (since it wasn't intentional or flagrant).
Correct. In the OP, A2 can not be an airbourne shooter at their opponent's basket.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 10:30am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Correct. In the OP, A2 can not be an airbourne shooter at their opponent's basket.
Even if that seems to be A2's identity.