LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
GENERALLY, this is correct
in #2 batter is out, runner returns to/remains on 3rd

but of course its not always black and white
Is there a NFHS case play for this situation?
I can't find one.
Thanks
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
I can't find one.
Thanks
don't know from memory, will try to remember to look it up this evening
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
I can't find one.
Thanks
7.4.4 Situations A-E on pp. 47-48.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
\
1) Pitch came inside, batter bailed without falling, and was about 2 steps behind the box. Catcher did not field cleanly and the ball rolled a bit left. Catcher then drilled the batter in the helmet - there was no chance of the batter avoiding the throw.
Okay, I will admit the possibility of a no call is there, but it is possible. Remember, it is the batter's responsibility to avoid getting involved in a play. If the batter was just standing there, I agree, no INT. However, if the batter moved and was hit, even if the intention was to get out of the way, and I'm confident the catcher was throwing to the base, not at the batter's head, that is most likely going to be ruled INT.

Quote:
2) Pitch came out of the catcher's glove rolling toward the batter. Batter danced to avoid the rolling ball, moving toward 3rd. Catcher picked up the ball barehanded and Tekulve'd the ball right into batter's leg.
Same as above.
Quote:
This is why I asked for more information on the OP.
Gotcha and there is no doubt that an INT call is almost always HTBT since many scenarios lose one or two things in translation.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
7.4.4 Situations A-E on pp. 47-48.

This reply did it,
Thank you all.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
1) Pitch came inside, batter bailed without falling, and was about 2 steps behind the box. Catcher did not field cleanly and the ball rolled a bit left. Catcher then drilled the batter in the helmet - there was no chance of the batter avoiding the throw.
I have argued this for a while now with some of my fellow ASA Umpires. Their position was that this is interference. I have always argued that the batter was doing what she should do, which is avoid being hit, and that if she does not actively hinder the catcher, we have a live ball and a DMC.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Why could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

Assuming instantaneous play: If the batter is just recovering from a swing and not doing anything out of the norm, it is just a DMC
Assuming a delayed throw: Pretty much same as above unless there is an unanticipated move, even if unintentional, by the batter. In that case, it would be a dead ball, could be INT, the batter would be ruled out and any advancing runners return to the base occupied at the time of the INT.
Why could be? You say the ball is dead. Why did you kill it? Is there some other reason than INT you would kill the ball in this scenario? If you don't think it was INT wouldn't you allow the play continue? Wouldn't this be a live ball?

The only time I'm killing this is if I deemed it INT.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I have argued this for a while now with some of my fellow ASA Umpires. Their position was that this is interference. I have always argued that the batter was doing what she should do, which is avoid being hit, and that if she does not actively hinder the catcher, we have a live ball and a DMC.
DMC? More like DMP. If she buzzes the batter, that's on her.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Quote:
This reply did it,
Thank you all.
This is learning,
Wow a simple play complicated by "The Best" Umpires ? Come on guys. I am new on the Forum, not a new Umpire, we need to play nice if we want new Umpires on here.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why could be? You say the ball is dead. Why did you kill it? Is there some other reason than INT you would kill the ball in this scenario? If you don't think it was INT wouldn't you allow the play continue? Wouldn't this be a live ball?

The only time I'm killing this is if I deemed it INT.
could = would; or place that portion of the sentence at the beginning. Whatever, if I've killed the ball and ruled the batter out, it was INT.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"actively hindering" only applies in the BB. And that would be there if it wasn't for a certain Ute.

Even out of the BB, if the batter does something as simple as straighten up into the area where the catcher was going to throw the ball, that is INT. There is some onus on the batter to be aware of the situation.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have been accused of being too sensitive.
The ump above is correct thought.
Umpires are inherently very egotistical and sometimes on this board old fuddy duddies that do not have a lot of patience.

We are all brothers (I hope). Maybe sisters. (Do not want to get blasted for being incorrect). That has happened before when I used the term fellas.

Lighten up Francises.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABill View Post
I have been accused of being too sensitive.
The ump above is correct thought.
Umpires are inherently very egotistical and sometimes on this board old fuddy duddies that do not have a lot of patience.

We are all brothers (I hope). Maybe sisters. (Do not want to get blasted for being incorrect). That has happened before when I used the term fellas.

Lighten up Francises.
I think we're so used to putting our collective foot down with coaches that we sometimes forget to make that switch when we come here.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A slight tangent here...but I posed a question about this play in a thread last month (inside pitch forces the batter out of the box, then the batter is hit by the catcher's throw).

Batter Interference?
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

No one expects a batter to simply disappear. That's isn't logical and it isn't implied as necessary by the rule book.

No one ever seems to realize that by a right-handed batter stepping out of the batter's box (either over the plate or back out of the box), the batter is almost always opening up a better throwing lane down the 3rd base for the catcher. Where is the catcher and where is the throw coming from that a batter gets in the way more OUT of the box than IN it?

It would most likely be the result of a terrible pitch that drove her/him out of the box and then R2 decided to steal 3rd base. There aren't too many attempts to steal 3rd base in higher level ball. I would have a hard time almost "rewarding" the defense for a terrible pitch. Just a thought...