The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

I know we just discussed this recently, but I can't find the thread or the specifics in the book.
For the case of a batter hit by a batted ball, the result is different if it is fair or foul. We rule it foul if the batter is still in the box. If I have learned it correctly, the batter is considered in the box if either foot is still touching in the box. That would apply even if the part of the batter's body that is hit is over fair ground or one foot has stepped out after batting the ball.
Q1. Is that correct?
Q2. Is it specified anywhere in any SOFTBALL book (esp. NCAA, NFHS, ASA, PONY) or is it just the accepted intepretation of "in the box"?
Q3. Do you know which thread our previous discussion was in?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Strangely, If you hit the ball with one foot on the ground outside the lines of the batters box, you are deemned "Out of the box". If you are hit by the batted ball with your feet in exactly the same place, you are deemed "In the box"
I do not know any place in the book that describes when you are out of the box (for the purpose of hit by the batted ball). I have to assume it is not until both feet contact the ground outside the lines. One foot out & the other foot airborne is not yet "OUT". I do not recall an earlier thread.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I know we just discussed this recently, but I can't find the thread or the specifics in the book.
For the case of a batter hit by a batted ball, the result is different if it is fair or foul. We rule it foul if the batter is still in the box. If I have learned it correctly, the batter is considered in the box if either foot is still touching in the box. That would apply even if the part of the batter's body that is hit is over fair ground or one foot has stepped out after batting the ball.
Q1. Is that correct?
Q2. Is it specified anywhere in any SOFTBALL book (esp. NCAA, NFHS, ASA, PONY) or is it just the accepted intepretation of "in the box"?
Q3. Do you know which thread our previous discussion was in?
ASA - Page 221 of the 2004 book.

If the batter is contacted with a fair batted ball outside of the batter's box having taken that first step, the batter is out (Dead ball). All other instances are simply a foul ball.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I think that part of the book is talking about what happens once the ball is on the ground in fair territory and then the batter steps on the ball or the ball rolls up against him. I am looking at this as if the ball went straight down into the batters box then popped up in the air & hit the batter when one foot was in & one foot was out of the box. Do you feel that is then a different situation ?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I stand corected

Then I stand corected.
Anyone know of this being defined in any other book?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
My interpretation is this: If the batter ( part of B-R) is hit with a legally hit fair ball ( meaning she was in the box when she hit the ball ), then all you have is a foul ball; if the runner (part of B-R) iz hif with a fair batted bll, then she is out. So the distinguishing feature is whether the batter has become a runner and the deciding factor (for me) is whether the batter pivot foot has come off the ground or not. If it has then her weight is moving forward and she is a runner, if it has not,then she is still a batter and all you have is a foul ball.

SamC
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Mike, I think that part of the book is talking about what happens once the ball is on the ground in fair territory and then the batter steps on the ball or the ball rolls up against him. I am looking at this as if the ball went straight down into the batters box then popped up in the air & hit the batter when one foot was in & one foot was out of the box. Do you feel that is then a different situation ?
No, it's basically a direction on the same call. For it to be anything but a foul ball:

The ball must be in fair territory.
The batter must have some part of his/her body touching the ground outside of the batter's box when contacted by the fair batted ball.

IOW, if the batter's box is a haven for the batter in this scenario. Any part of the batter is out of the box and s/he is contacted by a fair batted ball, they are in violation of 8.2.F.