The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   batter's interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89576-batters-interference.html)

timeout Tue Feb 28, 2012 02:41pm

batter's interference

Had this come up last nite at meeting.
Runner on third, no outs, catcher throws to third in attempt to pick off runner.
1. Throw hits batter while she's in the box....nothing, live ball, play on.
2. Throw hits batter after she stepped out of box.

What are the penalties, if any in #2?
Also, if possible, could you site a case play .

Thanks.

MD Longhorn Tue Feb 28, 2012 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 828578)
Runner on third, no outs, catcher throws to third in attempt to pick off runner.

Thanks.

Umpire, coach or parent?

Probably doesn't matter in this particular case, but you should include the ruleset you're playing under, as it does matter sometimes.

We don't have enough information yet. 1 is not always nothing. 2 is not always something. Can you describe the play in more detail? Was the throw immediate or was there some delay, what was the batter doing, exactly. This sitch is HTBT, but some description on your part might allow us to visualize and at least tell you what the umpire was (or should have been) looking for.

EsqUmp Tue Feb 28, 2012 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 828591)
Umpire, coach or parent?

Say what?

KJUmp Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 828682)
Say what?

Is the poster asking the question as an umpire, coach, or a parent.

EsqUmp Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 828688)
Is the poster asking the question as an umpire, coach, or a parent.

In that case, who cares? Just answer it, ask for more info, or be quiet.

NCASAUmp Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 828700)

You're making the assertion that parents and coaches speak the same language as umpires.

With all due respect (that has greatly diminished over the last month or two), your response to KJUmp and mbcrowder is completely inappropriate.

timeout Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 828591)
Umpire, coach or parent?

Probably doesn't matter in this particular case, but you should include the ruleset you're playing under, as it does matter sometimes.

We don't have enough information yet. 1 is not always nothing. 2 is not always something. Can you describe the play in more detail? Was the throw immediate or was there some delay, what was the batter doing, exactly. This sitch is HTBT, but some description on your part might allow us to visualize and at least tell you what the umpire was (or should have been) looking for.

NFHS rules.
I was thought, in general, on this type of situation, if the batter stays in the batter's box, and does not intentionally interfer with the catcher's throw, it's nothing, live ball-play on.
However, if she steps out of the box, where she doesn't belong, and gets hit with the catcher's pick-off throw, batter's interference could be called. If batter's interference is called, would the batter be out? Or would the runner on third be called out?
Thanks

x-tremeump Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53pm

xtreamump

Need more information. I have nothing so far ?

3afan Wed Feb 29, 2012 07:18am

Quote:

Thanks.

GENERALLY, this is correct
in #2 batter is out, runner returns to/remains on 3rd

but of course its not always black and white

EsqUmp Wed Feb 29, 2012 07:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 828703)
You're making the assertion that parents and coaches speak the same language as umpires.

With all due respect (that has greatly diminished over the last month or two), your response to KJUmp and mbcrowder is completely inappropriate.

Sorry for trying to limit some conversation to only relevant commentary so that we don't have a 4 page thread with only one page that actually addresses the question.

Last I checked, we don't have rule books for parents, coaches, umpires, etc. We just have rule books. So I don't know how asking or answer this question makes and difference and can only serve to clog the thread and let other posters go off on irrelevant tangents.

NCASAUmp Wed Feb 29, 2012 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 828748)
Sorry for trying to limit some conversation to only relevant commentary so that we don't have a 4 page thread with only one page that actually addresses the question.

Last I checked, we don't have rule books for parents, coaches, umpires, etc. We just have rule books. So I don't know how asking or answer this question makes and difference and can only serve to clog the thread and let other posters go off on irrelevant tangents.

Easy: parents and coaches don't always speak the same language as umpires. If we start talking about a batter "actively hindering" they're going to start thinking "intentionally hindering." Think about it: how many times have you had a coach or parent ask you to call interference on the defense?

But more importantly, this is a forum. A forum where we have discussions. You, a relatively new poster, telling regular contributors to "be quiet" is inappropriate.

I will make this abundantly clear. When I open my own forum in the coming week or so, those kinds of comments will be off-limits.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 29, 2012 08:44am

Quote:

Thanks.

Speaking ASA

Assuming instantaneous play: If the batter is just recovering from a swing and not doing anything out of the norm, it is just a DMC
Assuming a delayed throw: Pretty much same as above unless there is an unanticipated move, even if unintentional, by the batter. In that case, it would be a dead ball, could be INT, the batter would be ruled out and any advancing runners return to the base occupied at the time of the INT.

This is INT. The ball is dead, the batter is out and all advancing runners return to the base occupied at the time of the INT.

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 828700)

Yes, master. I shall do as you require.

Whatever.

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 828748)

(Like this one?) Pot, meet kettle.

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 828755)
This is INT. The ball is dead, the batter is out and all advancing runners return to the base occupied at the time of the INT.

Usually. Probably almost always... but not always. I can think of twice where this was not true in actual play.

1) Pitch came inside, batter bailed without falling, and was about 2 steps behind the box. Catcher did not field cleanly and the ball rolled a bit left. Catcher then drilled the batter in the helmet - there was no chance of the batter avoiding the throw.

2) Pitch came out of the catcher's glove rolling toward the batter. Batter danced to avoid the rolling ball, moving toward 3rd. Catcher picked up the ball barehanded and Tekulve'd the ball right into batter's leg.

This is why I asked for more information on the OP.