The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule Change - Bats

Rule 3 Section 1A [4]: Exception: Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play.
Comment: Add an exception to Rule 3 Section 1 that Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play only

Okay, now that ASA has temporarily appeased the senior game by allowing "senior softball bats" in championship play, can someone tell me what a "senior softball bat" is and how an umpire can identify one on the field?

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 02:21pm.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Rule 3 Section 1A [4]: Exception: Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play.
Comment: Add an exception to Rule 3 Section 1 that Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play only

Okay, now that ASA has temporarily appeased the senior game by allowing "senior softball bats" in championship play, can someone tell me what a "senior softball bat" is and how an umpire can identify one on the field?
They are grey or gray.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone remember who was famous for this saying?
"Get a load of the old bat!"
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This recently came up at a clinic this last weekend, and one of the members of the Safety and Equipment Committee was present. He said he expects some further clarification as well, but for the time being, it appears that the "senior bats" are those marked as having a 1.20 BPF. That's just what he told us.

I don't know how that will play out, as different senior softball associations have different requirements. Some require a 1.20 BPF, some allow a 1.21 BPF.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
This recently came up at a clinic this last weekend, and one of the members of the Safety and Equipment Committee was present. He said he expects some further clarification as well, but for the time being, it appears that the "senior bats" are those marked as having a 1.20 BPF. That's just what he told us.

I don't know how that will play out, as different senior softball associations have different requirements. Some require a 1.20 BPF, some allow a 1.21 BPF.
Yeah, they all have different requirements and I'm not even sure every bat has the BPF noted. But this is why I pushed it up the chain of command. And since it sounds like TL is also curious, we should have an answer sooner than later.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
They are grey or gray.
I like this idea, but then we would just get into arguments over the difference between grey and silver
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like this idea, but then we would just get into arguments over the difference between grey and silver
My goatee is getting pretty grey/gray/silver. Do I now qualify for the senior discounts?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
My goatee is getting pretty grey/gray/silver. Do I now qualify for the senior discounts?
Only on senior bats.