The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Rule Change - Bats (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/85822-asa-rule-change-bats.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jan 14, 2012 02:19pm

ASA Rule Change - Bats

Rule 3 Section 1A [4]: Exception: Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play.
Comment: Add an exception to Rule 3 Section 1 that Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play only

Okay, now that ASA has temporarily appeased the senior game by allowing "senior softball bats" in championship play, can someone tell me what a "senior softball bat" is and how an umpire can identify one on the field?

CecilOne Sat Jan 14, 2012 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 813335)
Rule 3 Section 1A [4]: Exception: Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play.
Comment: Add an exception to Rule 3 Section 1 that Senior Softball bats may be used in Senior Championship Play only

Okay, now that ASA has temporarily appeased the senior game by allowing "senior softball bats" in championship play, can someone tell me what a "senior softball bat" is and how an umpire can identify one on the field?

They are grey or gray. :p :D

tcannizzo Sat Jan 14, 2012 04:34pm

Anyone remember who was famous for this saying?
"Get a load of the old bat!"

NCASAUmp Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 813335)

This recently came up at a clinic this last weekend, and one of the members of the Safety and Equipment Committee was present. He said he expects some further clarification as well, but for the time being, it appears that the "senior bats" are those marked as having a 1.20 BPF. That's just what he told us.

I don't know how that will play out, as different senior softball associations have different requirements. Some require a 1.20 BPF, some allow a 1.21 BPF.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 15, 2012 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 813429)
This recently came up at a clinic this last weekend, and one of the members of the Safety and Equipment Committee was present. He said he expects some further clarification as well, but for the time being, it appears that the "senior bats" are those marked as having a 1.20 BPF. That's just what he told us.

I don't know how that will play out, as different senior softball associations have different requirements. Some require a 1.20 BPF, some allow a 1.21 BPF.

Yeah, they all have different requirements and I'm not even sure every bat has the BPF noted. But this is why I pushed it up the chain of command. And since it sounds like TL is also curious, we should have an answer sooner than later.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 15, 2012 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 813356)
They are grey or gray. :p :D

I like this idea, but then we would just get into arguments over the difference between grey and silver ;)

NCASAUmp Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 813511)
I like this idea, but then we would just get into arguments over the difference between grey and silver ;)

My goatee is getting pretty grey/gray/silver. Do I now qualify for the senior discounts? :D

CecilOne Mon Jan 16, 2012 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 813555)
My goatee is getting pretty grey/gray/silver. Do I now qualify for the senior discounts? :D

Only on senior bats. ;)