The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Inning Score Results - when can you correct?

Had a rec arc game over the weekend whereby each team keeps their own books and after the home 4th inning each team verified that the home team scored 4 runs.

The game went on and the 5th inning was completed whereby the home team now stated that they actually scored 5 runs.

Is there a statute of limitations as to when you can correct the # of runs scored for an inning?

Can you correct the runs up to the end of the game ?

We play ASA rules, so any rule # sited would be appreciated.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

The number of runs they scored is the number of runs they scored.

The scorebook is simply a mechanism for tracking such a thing. If they scored 8, they scored 8. If the scorebook says they scored forty... they still scored 8.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The number of runs they scored is the number of runs they scored.

The scorebook is simply a mechanism for tracking such a thing. If they scored 8, they scored 8. If the scorebook says they scored forty... they still scored 8.
Even when the home team's book is "official"?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:18pm

Get the books together and figure it out. Being a former scorekeeper has helped me out in similiar situations. Remember: Total outs made + total runners Left on Base + Runs scored = # of batters. (exception: any batting out of order.) Do both teams agree whom should be batting? If so, reconstruct the game to that point. We know the # of outs made and it should be easy enough to determine the runners LOB. Since we know who's batting, the only thing we're left to figure is the runs.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit on Challenge?

Thanks for the posts....

I should have stated that each team did not exchange line-ups so the only artifact that was available was the 'home-team's scorebook with their take on the # or runs scored.

This was a simple matter of when the Home Team discovered the error and then attempted to rectify the situation a few innings later on.

As was stated in an earlier reply, if they can re-enact the inning - i..e Total outs made + total runners Left on Base + Runs scored = # of batters.

The overall question remains - can this challenge occur at anytime after the inning in question of the game? As long as it occurred prior to the end of the game?

My thinking is - yes, it can get challenged at anytime during the game?

Thanks...
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Even when the home team's book is "official"?
Tru... if your count is 2-2, and partner's count is 2-2... and home team's book says 3-2... what's the count?

The scorebook is a tool, that's all. An error is the scorebook does not magically change what actually happened.

PS - even MLB has changed the scoreboard when it was discovered that it did not accurately reflect what happened 2 innings before.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tru... if your count is 2-2, and partner's count is 2-2... and home team's book says 3-2... what's the count?

The scorebook is a tool, that's all. An error is the scorebook does not magically change what actually happened.

PS - even MLB has changed the scoreboard when it was discovered that it did not accurately reflect what happened 2 innings before.
Ah, but you're mixing pears and raisins. Typically, especially at Wreck level, no one in the dugout is keeping track of the count other than by immediate memory. Our official duties do not include keeping track of the score. I will, during the course of a game, check with both sides to see if their scores match. If they do not, I send one scorekeeper to see the other and sort the matter out.

More often than not, I actually have no idea what the score is. In some games, I know that it's something like "a whole bunch" to "not nearly enough" and I'll be asking for the difference in order to impose the run rule.

In JO tournament play or NFHS, I'm one of those guys who does jot down the runs scored in each inning on the back of my lineup cards. In league play, no one gives us lineup cards. Often times, one of the teams is playing defense with no one to keep their book. They ask how many runs came in after retiring the offense.

Magically changing what really happened? If there is no official scorer, how many guys are crediting their teammates with basehits when a play was clearly an error? I don't much care what they called it, all I know is it means another batter is coming up.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Ah, but you're mixing pears and raisins. Typically, especially at Wreck level, no one in the dugout is keeping track of the count other than by immediate memory. Our official duties do not include keeping track of the score.
I agree with all that. My point, though, without mixing up fruit - is that the scorebook, while labelled "official" is still merely a tool. The score is simply the number of runners who scored. If the book is wrong, fix the book. If what one side told the other was the score turns out to be incorrect, fix it. The score is THE SCORE.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 04, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with all that. My point, though, without mixing up fruit - is that the scorebook, while labelled "official" is still merely a tool. The score is simply the number of runners who scored. If the book is wrong, fix the book. If what one side told the other was the score turns out to be incorrect, fix it. The score is THE SCORE.
Taken further to cover this situation....

If one team can legitimately show the "understood" score is incorrect, then it is incorrect, and the score is the correct score. You aren't correcting what IS the score, you are correcting what was mistakenly understood to be the score.

That said, if there is simply no justification to legitimately show the "understood" score is incorrect, then the "official" score is what was understood and agreed by all.

Or, you could make hash marks in the dirt each half inning to try to keep up.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
For SRW: "Gummi Bear Blood" from the Bellevue Brew Pub