View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Tru... if your count is 2-2, and partner's count is 2-2... and home team's book says 3-2... what's the count?

The scorebook is a tool, that's all. An error is the scorebook does not magically change what actually happened.

PS - even MLB has changed the scoreboard when it was discovered that it did not accurately reflect what happened 2 innings before.
Ah, but you're mixing pears and raisins. Typically, especially at Wreck level, no one in the dugout is keeping track of the count other than by immediate memory. Our official duties do not include keeping track of the score. I will, during the course of a game, check with both sides to see if their scores match. If they do not, I send one scorekeeper to see the other and sort the matter out.

More often than not, I actually have no idea what the score is. In some games, I know that it's something like "a whole bunch" to "not nearly enough" and I'll be asking for the difference in order to impose the run rule.

In JO tournament play or NFHS, I'm one of those guys who does jot down the runs scored in each inning on the back of my lineup cards. In league play, no one gives us lineup cards. Often times, one of the teams is playing defense with no one to keep their book. They ask how many runs came in after retiring the offense.

Magically changing what really happened? If there is no official scorer, how many guys are crediting their teammates with basehits when a play was clearly an error? I don't much care what they called it, all I know is it means another batter is coming up.