The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 07:53pm
This IS My Social Life

ROP -- Always Results in a Violation?

Your previous insights have added to my understanding of the NFHS "Resumption of Play" rule. I'm still wondering, however, is this:

>>> what in the rulebook makes a ROP procedure always result in a violation?

SIT.#1) That a free thrower, when going into the semi-circle to pick up the ball "placed at his disposal" on the floor is violating seems clear from Casebook 9.1.7, which says, "After the ball has been placed at the disposal of the free thrower, he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating...". I will concede this as a violation because it is in the casebook, though at this point I can't find anywhere in the Rulebook where this is cited as a violation. Do you know of what citation in the Rulebook I'm missing?

SIT.#2) Now, how about a ROP situation on a throw-in? What if the ball is placed on the floor and the five-count starts, but the team hustles over, the thrower, while fully OB, picks up the ball and makes a legal throw-in before the five-count ends. Is that legal? I can't find where it says that it isn't. Can you help me find it?

#3) Or is the whole thing clarified by Rule 4-38, which says in part, "The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations."? Might SIT.#2 above not be one of those "specific situations"? Or does the ROP always result in a violation?

Thanks for your consideration and response!
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 08:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

#1. Look at rule 9-3-e. This makes it a violation as soon as you place the ball down. The case play grants leeway to the offense and allows them to avoid the violation with a timeout.

#2. Legal.

#3. The key part of the wording you cite is "instead of a technical foul." The idea is a middle ground, as delaying the game would otherwise be a technical foul. 10-5-b
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 08:04pm
In Memoriam

See NFHS rule 7-5-1 for ROP. Also see casebook plays 7.5.1SitA&B.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Your previous insights have added to my understanding of the NFHS "Resumption of Play" rule. I'm still wondering, however, is this:

>>> what in the rulebook makes a ROP procedure always result in a violation?
Nothing makes it "always a violation."

Under "normal" circumstances, delaying the game is either an official warning or a T. Under certain circumstances (e.g., after a TO), the ball is put in play rather than issuing the warning/T. Depending on what happens next, it might be a violation or the offending team might be allowed to have the ball remain in play.