The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBull View Post
The TH makes sense to most of the TV audiance, they are not directing their comments to umpires who have a language all their own. I have called ball for almost 40 years and those guys don't upset me at all.

Despite the fact that I may title a post "OMG", or "WTF" or something like that, of course I'm not amazed, surprised or upset with what they say....
It is just a vehicle to share my amusement with people here who DO know the difference.....

On the other hand, I have sometimes been upset when umpires get thrown under the bus and then run over repeatedly by these same TH's.
(As I saw most recently in the FL HS State Championships)
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Despite the fact that I may title a post "OMG", or "WTF" or something like that, of course I'm not amazed, surprised or upset with what they say....
It is just a vehicle to share my amusement with people here who DO know the difference.....

On the other hand, I have sometimes been upset when umpires get thrown under the bus and then run over repeatedly by these same TH's.
(As I saw most recently in the FL HS State Championships)
Agree. That was the crew from my association who had to clean up after a girl was (apparently) allowed to throw IPs all season ... and in the semifinals. I think the quote from the TH was something like, "Well, she's not THAT illegal." Uggh!

If ahe's illegal, call it early and often ... until she fixes the problem. PLEASE!
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Agree. That was the crew from my association who had to clean up after a girl was (apparently) allowed to throw IPs all season ... and in the semifinals. I think the quote from the TH was something like, "Well, she's not THAT illegal." Uggh!

If ahe's illegal, call it early and often ... until she fixes the problem. PLEASE!
For the record, she WAS called illegal during the season..... often.
Admittedly she wasn't always called when it happened........ you and I both know that there are always guys in associations who for what ever ereason won't call IPs when they happen, but there were enough guys in her association who did call her.

Apprently after her team moved on, she wasn't called until that final game....
Tell your guys I was suffering with them as I watched....... and listened

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 05:48pm.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
For the record, she WAS called illegal during the season..... often.
Admittedly she wasn't always called when it happened........ you and I both know that there are always guys in associations who for what ever ereason won't call IPs when they happen, but there were enough guys in her association who did call her.

Apprently after her team moved on, she wasn't called until that final game....
Tell your guys I was suffering with them as I watched....... and listened
Do we believe you Hugo? Or her coach? ("You're the only crew that's called her on that all year!")
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Do we believe you Hugo? Or her coach? ("You're the only crew that's called her on that all year!")
I guess you have me there.....

Actually, I don't have the source material, but my recollection of the comments implied that they hadn't been called all year, but what he really said was that they hadn't been called post season or during the tournament or something like that......

I specifically remember a news article that said when he was asked if she was illegal, he didin't respond..... (I thought I had the article bookmarked, but apparently it is no longer available on line)

During the season when she got called, he hardly even argued. Then she would get good, but sure enough a little later, boom.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
they had a breakdown earlier in the game with the bases loaded. fly ball to left, runners tag. lf throws home to catcher who throws to 3rd base to try to get runner from 2nd. 3bu went out on the fly and no one covered 3rd base.

not good.
I give her credit for recognizing the situation and making the only possible call.
In ISF or other 4 ump, does the U2 cover the base if the U3 goes out?

BTW, what was with the mix of ISF/ASA logos?
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I give her credit for recognizing the situation and making the only possible call.
In ISF or other 4 ump, does the U2 cover the base if the U3 goes out?

BTW, what was with the mix of ISF/ASA logos?
Don't work alot of 4 man, but my understanding is that U2 goes out on all fly balls except on the line (this ball was pretty much directly to F7) While U3 did recognize the situation, i think the 1st mistake was her going out in the first place.

As for the mix in logos? I was told it was because ISF has a back log (one might say lack of money and ordering) in logo equipment, and the ones that did not have full gear when they got the assignment were told to wear their ASA logo stuff.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

@CecilOne
in ISF 4MS if U3 goes out, HP will be responsible for the call at 3B (and U1 will go home after the release of the BR). U2 will only cover 2B.

@okla21fan
U2 goes out on all flyballs but those between the F7 or F9 and the foulline.

Raoul
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach3 View Post
@CecilOne
in ISF 4MS if U3 goes out, HP will be responsible for the call at 3B (and U1 will go home after the release of the BR). U2 will only cover 2B.
Given the scenario (bases loaded) I have to disagree. I you start a play with a runner at 2B or 3B, there should be no rotation.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

@Irish your were right for this situation. Sorry. I didn't read carefully enough - didn't recall the play at HP!

So, yes if HP goes back Home (from Holdingposition) U2 is the backfill for a secondary play at 3B. But if there is a play back at 3B HP as well as a first play at 3B. So there might be still a rotation if U3 goes out.

Raoul