The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Was this done correctly?

I worked a game the other night and we had this scenario. Player was driving to the basket, and got a bump. My partner who was trail called the push...The player dribbling the ball continued his drive, just for the fun of it i guess........He went up for his layup, and got a body check type of thing. It was not "unsporting, flagrant, or intentional" but it was enough that it needed to be called. So I blew it. This whole little scenario maybe was done in a total of 6 seconds. We both reported the foul, and gave the ball back to the offended team. I was wondering did we do this correctly, and is there any rule interpretations that someone could provide.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

You and your partner should of came together and see what foul came first. It sounds like the bump came first to me, but I would of not called a false double foul.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigan
I worked a game the other night and we had this scenario. Player was driving to the basket, and got a bump. My partner who was trail called the push...The player dribbling the ball continued his drive, just for the fun of it i guess........He went up for his layup, and got a body check type of thing. It was not "unsporting, flagrant, or intentional" but it was enough that it needed to be called. So I blew it. This whole little scenario maybe was done in a total of 6 seconds. We both reported the foul, and gave the ball back to the offended team. I was wondering did we do this correctly, and is there any rule interpretations that someone could provide.
It sounds like the "body check" (as you described it) definitely came after your partner called the push. If this is the case, you cannot call the second foul unless it is intentional or flagrant. The first foul caused the ball to become dead, so any contact afterward should be ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant. If you rule that it is intentional or flagrant, you should call a technical foul for dead-ball contact (10-3-8).

Case book play 10.3.8 deals with a similar situation. Note that in your situation, this would be a false multiple-foul rather than a false double-foul if you penalize the dead-ball contact, since it only involves fouls by one team:
"SITUATION: B1 fouls A1 during an unsuccessful try. While the calling official is reporting the foul, A1 pushes B1 into another player.
RULING: Intentional contact while the ball is dead constitutes an intentional technical foul. If other dead-ball contact is not intentional or flagrant, it should be ignored. The foul by A1 creates a false double-foul situation."

Last edited by lorenj; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 01:42am.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

You and your partner should of came together and see what foul came first. It sounds like the bump came first to me, but I would of not called a false double foul.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I doubt it took 6 seconds.

Assuming it was more like two seconds, the shot still should not have been taken, and the body check still should not have happened. But it wasn't a foul unless it was "flagrant, intentional or unsporting." If you blew your whistle, and then told the players, "Hey, play's dead, knock it off." that's not calling the foul, and is an acceptable way to let the defender know that the contact was out of line. If you reported the whistle as a foul, meaning if your crew reported two fouls, you goofed. Why did you decide that the appropriate penalty was to give the ball back to the offended team?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you thought the contact was severe enough it needed to be called, you should have called it a technical foul since the ball was dead. Two shots and the throw-in at half-court. False-multiple, not false-double.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

correct Snaqwells. if severe enough also, this can be flagrant as well...