The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
NCAA Mechanics require the plate umpire to hold on the 1st base line extended to watch for a pulled foot before releasing to 3B for the play. You do not cheat and watch for a pulled foot while you are running toward 3B.

The first play (at 1B) is the first responsibility, then release to 3B. If a runner is going from 1 to 3, and is very fast, it is possible that the plate umpire might not make it all the way to 3B when the play happens.
ASA is not as detailed, but appears to be similar, trailing the runner first.

Not clear to me what U3 should be doing in this sitch.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 09:24am.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Collision

Did anyone else catch the collision between U1 and a fielder (I think F3) during Monday night's game?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
The assigner knew she had had a tough game with these two teams earlier.
At all NCAA championships, the game assignments are not a decision by a single individual; there is not "an assigner." The UIC makes a recommendation to the committee, who then has the final say.

Last edited by Big Slick; Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 10:02am.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Plate Ump Trail vs Third

Let me see if i understand this.....runner on first, plate ump is to trail BR until he/she is confident of pulled or no pulled foot. AND THEN worry about the runner that had been on first and the subsiquent call at third when that runner is busting butt to go to third.

Why would a plate umpire want to be concerned about a "possible" appeal of a play at first and not be in position for his/her Primary responsibilty of the call at third? Why would a plate umpire be worried about a call that is NOT his/her primary responsibility?

The pulled foot of a first base defensive player is not the primary call of the plate umpire.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me see if i understand this.....runner on first, plate ump is to trail BR until he/she is confident of pulled or no pulled foot. AND THEN worry about the runner that had been on first and the subsiquent call at third when that runner is busting butt to go to third.

Why would a plate umpire want to be concerned about a "possible" appeal of a play at first and not be in position for his/her Primary responsibilty of the call at third? Why would a plate umpire be worried about a call that is NOT his/her primary responsibility?

The pulled foot of a first base defensive player is not the primary call of the plate umpire.
That is the responsibility of the PU to watch/help out on the pulled foot/swipe tag, etc in all codes in all umpire systems. Even in a 2 umpire system with a runner on second, you would trail (albeit a few feet), and then have the runner into third if that is the secondary play.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
At all NCAA championships, the game assignments are not a decision by a single individual; there is not "an assigner." The UIC makes a recommendation to the committee, who then has the final say.
I was surprised to see her back there also.. she DID have a tough two previous games....but she's there....I'm not....
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Are we finished criticizing other officials on a public forum?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 3rd base umpire was rotated over due to runner on first. This umpire would have had the best view. NCAA mechanics want the plate umpire to go to the first base umpire.
Yes, I know they all got together. All for show.
But you can see by the involvement of the first base umpire in the actions that took place after the request for more information by Drumm that the rotated umpire had little involvement in any substiquent decision.
I don't think this was ever a checked swing issue. She did not go to U1 prior to saying it went off the knob. She did, for some reason, walk 3/4 of the way to 1st before bringing the batter back. What's interesting about that is that, in a Super this year, a PU walked down to first, looked at the batter's arm, and then awarded 1st.

I'm not sure a rotated U3 would have had a better view of this than U1 on the line. This was a RH batter. I will say that if either of her partners had anything different, they should have helped her out. I'm pretty sure their coming together was NOT for show.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
That's the rub isn't it? You can't criticize the decision to have an umpire work a game without criticizing that umpire indirectly.

When the Director of Championships for the NCAA publicly states that "we bring our best here.", what is she saying about the remainder of college officials? Of course, what else can she say? The truth? Many know better.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I'm not seeing much criticism that's out of line.... we've all had rough games... and we've all been criticized/questioned
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
and then have the runner into third if that is the secondary play.
The play into third is not the secondary play for the plate umpire. It is the primary play/call that is the responsibility of the plate umpire. The pulled foot is a secondary play/call for the plate umpire. The call at first and a pulled foot is a "if" call for the plate umpire. "IF" they appeal, they will ask for his/her opinion/help.

True the plate umpire should trail the BR. But only to the point (normally the plate umpire will not even get to the running lane) in which that the R1 has approached (if passing...this would be considered possibly too late) second base on her way to third. At this point the plate umpire must adbandon the BR and be in position for the call at third.

This is the mechanic for both ASA and NCAA.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me see if i understand this.....runner on first, plate ump is to trail BR until he/she is confident of pulled or no pulled foot.
You do understand it.

Quote:
AND THEN worry about the runner that had been on first and the subsiquent call at third when that runner is busting butt to go to third.
You got it. Other than misspelling subsequent twice (2 different ways even).

Quote:
Why would a plate umpire want to be concerned about a "possible" appeal of a play at first and not be in position for his/her Primary responsibilty of the call at third?
Two possibilities ... a) because said umpire wants to work again, b) because the umpire has been to a clinic and knows their responsibilities on this play.

Quote:
Why would a plate umpire be worried about a call that is NOT his/her primary responsibility?
I doubt PU was worried. PU was operating as told and taught though.

Quote:
Says who? You... vs NCAA mechanic manuals and clinics (among others)? I choose the latter - no offense intended.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't believe you are correct. However, I only keep my Participant Manual here at work - Umpire version is in my bag, in my car.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
The play into third is not the secondary play for the plate umpire. It is the primary play/call that is the responsibility of the plate umpire. The pulled foot is a secondary play/call for the plate umpire. The call at first and a pulled foot is a "if" call for the plate umpire. "IF" they appeal, they will ask for his/her opinion/help.

True the plate umpire should trail the BR. But only to the point (normally the plate umpire will not even get to the running lane) in which that the R1 has approached (if passing...this would be considered possibly too late) second base on her way to third. At this point the plate umpire must adbandon the BR and be in position for the call at third.

I am beginning to question your experience and knowledge of the prescribed mechanics.

The FIRST responsibility of the plate umpire, as mentioned, is pulled foot/swipe tag( /running lane violation/obstruction/interference/coaches interference/dead ball on an overthrow). This is so because there IS a play happening at first base. There IS NOT a play happening at any other location until this play is over and the plate umpire must complete their FIRST responsibility. While this is not a PRIMARY call for the the plate umpire, it is their FIRST responsibility. The play at third IS their PRIMARY call, but it is (possibly, should it develop) their SECOND responsibility. If you abandon your FIRST responsiblity, you have no credibility on anything I listed (and I probably missed a few others).

I would venture to guess that in all my years, I have had more pulled foot/swipe tag issues than plays at third; most often on a set play when F3 comes off early to make the second play at third.

Also, in this situation, angle over distance dictates at 3rd base. Why? because your 3rd base umpire has a 90 if the slide and tag go to the back of the bag, plate umpire gets their prescribed 90 from the advancing runner into 3rd. Both angles are covered then close the distance as best as possible. Three umpires have to cover four bases, that means that on occassion, an umpire will be late to the party, it is a defined

At no time ever (unless an umpire chases) would the plate umpire trail as far as the running lane. 20' in ASA, 15' in NCAA (10' with a runner on first). NEVER 30' or more as you suggest. And why only 10' with a runner on first; because it keeps us closer to our 90 at third.

Also, in a three umpire system, I have, on a couple of occassions, as the 3rd base umpire, taken the runner from first all the way to 3rd. It is a read that has to happen early and your plate umpire has to get hung up in some fashion. I am not suggesting that this was required in the play described, but it is a deviation that is sometimes necessary.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The play into third is not the secondary play for the plate umpire. It is the primary play/call that is the responsibility of the plate umpire.
Seems you read that incorrectly. If the play at third is the secondary play, meaning a play has happened somewhere else, then the PU will make the call at third. If the initial play is on R1, PU will not be making this call in any umpire system.

Quote:
The pulled foot is a secondary play/call for the plate umpire. The call at first and a pulled foot is a "if" call for the plate umpire. "IF" they appeal, they will ask for his/her opinion/help.
PU has the responsibility to watch for this on plays at first base, and where it is seen from depends on where runners start. But in this instance, with R1 (at first), PU will trail a BR.

Quote:
True the plate umpire should trail the BR. But only to the point (normally the plate umpire will not even get to the running lane)
Normally? Try like the PU should never trail more than 15 feet.

Quote:
in which that the R1 has approached (if passing...this would be considered possibly too late) second base on her way to third. At this point the plate umpire must adbandon the BR and be in position for the call at third.
The PU will NEVER give up the play at first if that is where the play is happening, in a two umpire system of three umpire system. Even if the single runner started at second. You see the play first, then you move to third.

Quote:
If that's what you believe, please cite page number of the must recent ASA or NCAA manuals.

Last edited by Big Slick; Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 12:27pm.