The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking about transitioning...

So lately, I've been paying a little more attention to the FP-related threads. Why? Well, I'm thinking of getting a CP, mask and some shin guards and making the switch over. Maybe not 100%. SP will always be near and dear to my heart (considering I've done it for over 18 years), but I'd like to make myself a little more useful to my assignor if he's ever in a pinch, especially since there are some fields that are almost within walking distance of my house.

That being said, anyone got any suggestions for a good CP and mask for a first-timer? Let's not worry about the price tag - if I make the transition, I'm going to get the right gear right away.

So if I screw up on a FP ruling here, please be gentle. It's my first time.

If I muck up a SP ruling here, then definitely flame away.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

2morrow I'll go out to the car & give you brands I use.

Can you send me a private message because I'd like to get back into ASA moved to N Carolina from Colo. & who to call or just post it here.

thanks
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthegame View Post
2morrow I'll go out to the car & give you brands I use.

Can you send me a private message because I'd like to get back into ASA moved to N Carolina from Colo. & who to call or just post it here.

thanks
Sure, no problem! Welcome to NC! We'll talk via PM...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
...anyone got any suggestions for a good CP and mask for a first-timer?...
I can only tell you what I have, and what I think of it.

I have the Wilson so-called "new view" mask from about 5-6 years ago. It is a good, lightweight mask. Good protection, good view. You have to get used to pulling it off, because it is "flatter" than a normal mask. There are newer masks now that are lighter still that this one, but I have no reason or desire to replace it.

I have the Honig's K2. It provides excellent shoulder and sternum protection, but the side of the chest and belly is essentially unprotected. It is great for hot weather, but I probably wouldn't buy it again due to the lack of chest side and belly protection.

I have the Gerry Davis shin guards from about 5-6 years ago. Excellent protection, including the knee caps, relatively cool in hot weather, easy on-easy off, crappy fit. "Crappy fit" means they are too wide and won't stay on straight. Too wide - the sides kind of flare out, which means you really need full plate pants to wear them; they will be tight even under so-called combo pants. Making this "feature" worse, the guards have only two straps to hold them on, which does make them easy to get on and off, but it does not hold them securely so they tend to rotate to the side. You have to continually straighten them out, because if you don't, your knee-cap protection is seriously compromised - you can figure out how I know this. I wouldn't buy them again.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck on the tansition! I came over tp FP at the high school level as well as ASA and have enjoyed it very much.

The great thing about fast pitch is that you dont have to deal with the intoxicated adults on the field in slow pitch. I still do slow pitch every week and I see somrting new evey time.

The only thing is now the drunk people are in the stands and they are looking at a college scolaship for their babies on every pitch...LOL

It is fun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Good luck
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
Good luck on the tansition! I came over tp FP at the high school level as well as ASA and have enjoyed it very much.

The great thing about fast pitch is that you dont have to deal with the intoxicated adults on the field in slow pitch. I still do slow pitch every week and I see somrting new evey time.

The only thing is now the drunk people are in the stands and they are looking at a college scolaship for their babies on every pitch...LOL

It is fun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Good luck
Oh, I'm "deaf" to the other side of the fence. Been doing this too damn long to pay any attention to what's behind me, or to care about what they say. I've had other umpires try to get my attention from behind the fence, only to have to repeat my name 50 times before I realize, "oh, someone's behind me."

Some of it is just my desire to "mix it up" a little, some of it is my desire to get away from the "AA Leagues," but some of it is also to help out my assignor, who has been phenomenally and outrageously good to me.

Plus, damn it, I just love this sport!

Old Sun May 08, 2011, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Diamond DFM-PRO mask, the Diamond DLG-UXS shin guards and the Honigs K2 chest protector. I also use the New Balance 450 Plate shoes; Honigs has them on sale for $69 right now. I am comfortable in JO and HS ball with this equipment, although I am considering going to the Honigs ZG chest protector for a little more protection. The chest protector has been a great compromise between the Texas heat and working many games on the weekends, during the summer. The mask, shin guards and shoes are great and I do not have any plans of using anything different. I have used this set up for about three years now and it works for me. Good Luck.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I just got the Honigs ZG chest protector and like it alot, but, think the harness could be a little better and its rather large in the shoulders. I typically wear a large shirt on the bases and an XL over my older Diamond blanket style cp, but the XL is stretched pretty tight over the ZG. Probably going to have to get 2XL shirts for it.

Also just got a new Wilson mask. Its the WTA3009X and got it with the black/tan leather pads. Like it alot, although I did have a tendency to yank my hat off for a couple of weeks. Took some getting used to after my old mask.

Shin guards I have yet to find a set I like. I have some Diamonds that are OK, but they are pretty wide especially at the knee and have a tendency to roll around my legs. Tried some newer Diamonds with a double knee and thigh cap, but cant stand them. The thigh cap rubs the top of my thighs raw now matter what I do with them.

I know a few guys that wear the K2 protector, in fact I have one, but wont wear it. I have taken some good hits through my blanket protector in areas the K2 wouldnt cover. Had a partner in a HS game a few weeks back that got hit just below the K2 on first pitch of game and was out of action for a few minutes.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

One thing I'd recommend getting is a set of full length UnderArmour heat gear tights (or an equivalent manufacturer) to wear while working the plate. They keep the shin guards from chafing your legs and they help keep you cool(er) by wicking the sweat away from your legs.

Not sure if you wear a cup while working slow pitch but one of those are essential as well.

I've been eying up the Honig's Zero Gravity CP as well. It is on sale right now also.

Now is actually a good time to pick up gear as Honig's has a lot of it on sale.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Mask: Wilson 3009X - Nice compromise between the ridiculously priced titaniums, and he cheaper heavier masks. I had a the classic 3080 before, and I like the padding on this one better.

CP - Have the Pro nine CPU-B works just fine for 18U FP - not too bulky, protects, and comfy as all heck

Leg guards - The Gerry Davis DavisShins - perfect for FP: light weight, EXREMELY comfortable and light, but yet will take a beating...Davis also makes a nice oversized ball bag that will hold three softballs with ease.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
One thing I'd recommend getting is a set of full length UnderArmour heat gear tights (or an equivalent manufacturer) to wear while working the plate. They keep the shin guards from chafing your legs and they help keep you cool(er) by wicking the sweat away from your legs.

Not sure if you wear a cup while working slow pitch but one of those are essential as well.

I've been eying up the Honig's Zero Gravity CP as well. It is on sale right now also.

Now is actually a good time to pick up gear as Honig's has a lot of it on sale.
I'm good on the cup. Shock Doctor carbon fiber. Definitely solid protection.

Good call on the Under Armour. I wear their ASA shirt under my powder blues, and wouldn't go on the field without it.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

nothing like a nutty buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'm good on the cup. Shock Doctor carbon fiber. Definitely solid protection.

Good call on the Under Armour. I wear their ASA shirt under my powder blues, and wouldn't go on the field without it.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

I use the K98 with microfiber pads from Honigs and their ZG chest protector. The K98 is super light the microfiber pads are awesome against my face. The only thing I have had problems with is getting the ZG to stay put. I finally used some electrical tape to keep the straps where they needed to be and now it fits well and stays where it needs to be.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Those K2 chest protectors kind of freak me out. It just doesn't seem like there's enough there to give me peace of mind. I go to the opposite end of the scale and wear the Wilson Platinum. I'd rather be over-protected that not protected enough. It's very comfortable to me and as far as being "hotter", if it's hot out you're going to be hot no matter what you have on.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Shoes

Definately LOVE my Tanel plate shoes. I bought an extra pair to save until needed just in case they change them in the future. I believe they are as light weight as any plate shoe and as to comfort - one absolutely could wear them on the bases or ever to church. Actually, I should say around the house because they fit like slippers. I also wear the Tanel base shoe.

This weekend I was thinking about posting this as FYI, but this thread seemed appropriate...