View Single Post
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
...anyone got any suggestions for a good CP and mask for a first-timer?...
I can only tell you what I have, and what I think of it.

I have the Wilson so-called "new view" mask from about 5-6 years ago. It is a good, lightweight mask. Good protection, good view. You have to get used to pulling it off, because it is "flatter" than a normal mask. There are newer masks now that are lighter still that this one, but I have no reason or desire to replace it.

I have the Honig's K2. It provides excellent shoulder and sternum protection, but the side of the chest and belly is essentially unprotected. It is great for hot weather, but I probably wouldn't buy it again due to the lack of chest side and belly protection.

I have the Gerry Davis shin guards from about 5-6 years ago. Excellent protection, including the knee caps, relatively cool in hot weather, easy on-easy off, crappy fit. "Crappy fit" means they are too wide and won't stay on straight. Too wide - the sides kind of flare out, which means you really need full plate pants to wear them; they will be tight even under so-called combo pants. Making this "feature" worse, the guards have only two straps to hold them on, which does make them easy to get on and off, but it does not hold them securely so they tend to rotate to the side. You have to continually straighten them out, because if you don't, your knee-cap protection is seriously compromised - you can figure out how I know this. I wouldn't buy them again.