The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Tournament

Actually, this was a smallish tournament of approximately 20 teams. More pulled out due to the tornados that ransacked the state last week. Although the tournament was mid-size, most of the teams were in the top 10 in the state in their respective classes, including 7/10 in 6A, our largest classification. Last year I was on the plate for the final of a 60 team tournament that pitted the state's #1 6A team vs. the #1 5A team. I've been to our state camp, local college camp, ASA National camp and I've been selected for an ASA National this year. I've called the Area tournament all three years I've been umpiring, last year and this year I was selected for the regional tournament and hopefully state this year. This is not to toot my own horn but simply to say that my mechanics and on field ability are solid. I am still working on not only book knowledge of the rules, but also the application of these rules (case book vs. rules book).

Still, being a newer umpire I do get confused over the details of some rules sections, which is why I posted the question on this board. Hoping to gain some additional insight as to how I may have gotten confused was the main reason for the OP, not to confirm the procedure for ITB (or TBR as some abbreviate it).
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Actually, this was a smallish tournament of approximately 20 teams. More pulled out due to the tornados that ransacked the state last week. Although the tournament was mid-size, most of the teams were in the top 10 in the state in their respective classes, including 7/10 in 6A, our largest classification. Last year I was on the plate for the final of a 60 team tournament that pitted the state's #1 6A team vs. the #1 5A team. I've been to our state camp, local college camp, ASA National camp and I've been selected for an ASA National this year. I've called the Area tournament all three years I've been umpiring, last year and this year I was selected for the regional tournament and hopefully state this year. This is not to toot my own horn but simply to say that my mechanics and on field ability are solid. I am still working on not only book knowledge of the rules, but also the application of these rules (case book vs. rules book).

Still, being a newer umpire I do get confused over the details of some rules sections, which is why I posted the question on this board. Hoping to gain some additional insight as to how I may have gotten confused was the main reason for the OP, not to confirm the procedure for ITB (or TBR as some abbreviate it).
Derwil,

Hang in there and keep reading the rules book. Continue asking questions and if you have the time and are not working games, head out to some of the games that are being umpired by the veterans in your association.

This forum is an excellent source of information.