The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

A 14U team I coach was in a tournament where we were allowed to bat our roster. One of my players was ejected for throwing his bat. The umpire told me that since I did not have a substitute, the ejected player's turn at bat would be an automatic out. The game ended in a tie, so we went to international tie-breaker with runner on second and one out. My ejected player was the last recorded out for us in the previous inning, so the umpire ruled that we were not allowed to have a base runner, and we would start the inning with two outs instead of one. Was this correct?
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D. Williams
A 14U team I coach was in a tournament where we were allowed to bat our roster. One of my players was ejected for throwing his bat. The umpire told me that since I did not have a substitute, the ejected player's turn at bat would be an automatic out. The game ended in a tie, so we went to international tie-breaker with runner on second and one out. My ejected player was the last recorded out for us in the previous inning, so the umpire ruled that we were not allowed to have a base runner, and we would start the inning with two outs instead of one. Was this correct?
It's not covered in any "official" rules that I know of. IF it's not in the tournament rules, then the umpire gets to decide.

It's not what I would have done, BTW.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

What would you have done??

What would you have done?
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why didn't you guys just flip a coin?

I've never heard of such a thing
as an intentional tie breaker.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of international boards on http://www.umpire.org, you might try there
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
Why didn't you guys just flip a coin?

I've never heard of such a thing
as an intentional tie breaker.
It's in fast pitch softball. This is the first time I've heard of it being used in baseball.

Bob
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Did a USSSA baseball tournament last weekend. The TD used the ITB for games up to the championship game. First time I've seen it used in baseball.

Roger Greene
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

The USSSA park that I ump in uses the "California Tie-Breaker" which is the same thing except that there are no outs to start the extra inning.

Don't know what I would have done in this situation, but it will make for an interesting discussion in the umpire's locker room next weekend.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I discussed this with the tournament director

He said that I should not have been charged with an automatic out when the ejected player's turn at bat came because I was still batting more than nine players. He said the only time you take an automatic out is when you drop to less than nine players.

Bottom line is this is the kind of stuff that happens when you start monkeying with the rules. When you make ground rules, it is difficult, if not impossible to plan for every contingency.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I disagree with that statement. In all divisions I ump where an EH (extra hitter so you can bat 10) is allowed, if you start with 10, you finish with 10 or take the out.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: What would you have done??

Quote:
Originally posted by D. Williams
What would you have done?
I would not have charged the out for the missing player.

Even if I had, I would have allowed the previous batter to run at second at the start of the next inning.