The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Pitcher Requesting a Different Ball

Need some help on a situation that happened in a High School game last night.

Situation:
  • Game is tied 2-2 at end of 6th, and still tied 2-2 going into top of 13th. The first pitch is fouled out of play, ump gives pitcher a brand new ball. Pitcher throws it back to catcher and asks for a different ball. The ump refuses. Pitcher then asks to roll the ball on the ground and the umpire again says no.
  • The pitcher walks the batter (2nd walk of game) and the run ends up scoring on throwing error by center fielder with 2 out. This was the winning run.

Is there a Federation rule about changing the softball in a game?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftballGuy247 View Post
Need some help on a situation that happened in a High School game last night.

Situation:
  • Game is tied 2-2 at end of 6th, and still tied 2-2 going into top of 13th. The first pitch is fouled out of play, ump gives pitcher a brand new ball. Pitcher throws it back to catcher and asks for a different ball. The ump refuses. Pitcher then asks to roll the ball on the ground and the umpire again says no.
  • The pitcher walks the batter (2nd walk of game) and the run ends up scoring on throwing error by center fielder with 2 out. This was the winning run.

Is there a Federation rule about changing the softball in a game?
Go here
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...going into top of 13th. The first pitch is fouled out of play, ump gives pitcher a brand new ball...
How did a brand new ball end up in the umpire's ball bag in the 13th inning?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

One of the game balls was cut, and the home team supplied a new ball to replace it.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...top of 13th....
Quote:
One of the game balls was cut, and the home team supplied a new ball to replace it.
Home did it to themselves, then? Why didn't home coach supply a serviceable used ball out of his bucket?

Regardless, if I had been the PU, I would have done my best to quickly rub / rough-up the brand new ball before giving it to the players.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

No, home team supplied ball, but visiting team was pitching... Is there any ball rotation protocol if you bring a brand new ball into the game in extra innings? Or is that the same as if it were the top of the 1st?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, home team supplied ball, but visiting team was pitching... Is there any ball rotation protocol if you bring a brand new ball into the game in extra innings? Or is that the same as if it were the top of the 1st?
You did say TOP of the 13th, and home is on defense in the top.

No, there is no protocol, but as I said, I would have roughed the ball up myself before giving it to the pitcher. The "sheen" should be removed from a new ball before it is put into play, but this is not specified in the rules anywhere.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies - I should have said bottom of the 13th. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My apologies - I should have said bottom of the 13th. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey... Check your Private messages.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You did say TOP of the 13th, and home is on defense in the top.

No, there is no protocol, but as I said, I would have roughed the ball up myself before giving it to the pitcher. The "sheen" should be removed from a new ball before it is put into play, but this is not specified in the rules anywhere.
And here is where I run into an issue with those who insist dirt is a foreign substance. While I would stick with the rotation, I would allow the pitcher to rub down the ball with dirt. IMO, this is the preferred method of rubbing down the ball as opposed to scuffing it up by rubbing it into the ground or grinding it into the ground with one's foot.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And here is where I run into an issue with those who insist dirt is a foreign substance. While I would stick with the rotation, I would allow the pitcher to rub down the ball with dirt. IMO, this is the preferred method of rubbing down the ball as opposed to scuffing it up by rubbing it into the ground or grinding it into the ground with one's foot.
Via our Georgia clinics this year, Kevin Ryan has decreed that dirt is NOT a foriegn substance! General thought around here was that if a pitcher "went to the dirt" yet failed to wipe that should be called IP. Don't know if that ruling is in print anywhere, but it was delivered by our state UIC.

I have always allowed the pitcher or catcher to rub up a new ball if they ask. I then inspect it, and we play!
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

From ASA website, March 2010 "Plays and Clarifications":

Rule 6, Section 6, Fast Pitch:

Foreign Substance:

While traveling around the country to be an instructor at National Umpire Schools, Region Rule clinics or Local Association Umpire Schools it is always interesting to listen to the local umpires talk about rules and rule applications in our great game of Amateur Softball. Throughout the country our umpires ask about rules and plays that come up from time to time. Local umpires talk about rules in a general sense and how those rules apply in our 2010 ASA Umpire Manual Official Rules of Softball. It is refreshing to see umpires dig into the book to understand the intent of a rule and how its application applies to their situations.

One common question from all areas of the country, especially in the game of Fast Pitch but would apply to other games is “By rule, is dirt a foreign substance?” Do you need to wipe off your hand if you pick up dirt and rub it on your hands?” Rule 6, Section 6A. Fast Pitch states that a defensive player shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use a foreign substance upon the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and or an approved manufactured drying agent may be used by the pitcher….

Why would we consider dirt, something common to the ground, a” foreign substance”? If a pitcher or any other defensive player picks up dirt and applies it to the ball we say “no”. We do not allow the application of any material to the ball. Players can apply resin to their hand, not to the ball. If a pitcher picks up a handful of dirt or wipes the ground with their hand, then rubs their hands together, there is no foreign substance being transferred. If a defensive player puts dirt in their hand and throws it on the ground, then catches a thrown or batted ball and returns it to the pitcher do we call this illegal? No. Example: If the catcher wipes their hand on the ground before catching the pitch and returns the ball to the pitcher without wiping their hand off do we have a violation of Rule 6? The answer is no. If we do not, then why do umpires from around the country say that the pitcher must wipe their hand off after touching dirt? Our Rule 6 is very specific, it says any “defensive player shall not at any time during a game be allowed to use any foreign substance upon the ball.”

So, if dirt can and has been used as a natural drying agent to dry off the hands, we do not believe it is mandatory for the pitcher to wipe off their hand if they pick up dirt, throw it to the ground or rub it into their hands. We do not allow dirt to be applied directly to the ball just as we do not permit any other substance. Therefore applying dirt to the hand and not wiping the hand off is perfectly legal by ASA Official Rules of Softball
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
From ASA website, March 2010 "Plays and Clarifications":

Rule 6, Section 6, Fast Pitch:

Foreign Substance:

While traveling around the country to be an instructor at National Umpire Schools, Region Rule clinics or Local Association Umpire Schools it is always interesting to listen to the local umpires talk about rules and rule applications in our great game of Amateur Softball. Throughout the country our umpires ask about rules and plays that come up from time to time. Local umpires talk about rules in a general sense and how those rules apply in our 2010 ASA Umpire Manual Official Rules of Softball. It is refreshing to see umpires dig into the book to understand the intent of a rule and how its application applies to their situations.

One common question from all areas of the country, especially in the game of Fast Pitch but would apply to other games is “By rule, is dirt a foreign substance?” Do you need to wipe off your hand if you pick up dirt and rub it on your hands?” Rule 6, Section 6A. Fast Pitch states that a defensive player shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use a foreign substance upon the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and or an approved manufactured drying agent may be used by the pitcher….

Why would we consider dirt, something common to the ground, a” foreign substance”? If a pitcher or any other defensive player picks up dirt and applies it to the ball we say “no”. We do not allow the application of any material to the ball. Players can apply resin to their hand, not to the ball. If a pitcher picks up a handful of dirt or wipes the ground with their hand, then rubs their hands together, there is no foreign substance being transferred. If a defensive player puts dirt in their hand and throws it on the ground, then catches a thrown or batted ball and returns it to the pitcher do we call this illegal? No. Example: If the catcher wipes their hand on the ground before catching the pitch and returns the ball to the pitcher without wiping their hand off do we have a violation of Rule 6? The answer is no. If we do not, then why do umpires from around the country say that the pitcher must wipe their hand off after touching dirt? Our Rule 6 is very specific, it says any “defensive player shall not at any time during a game be allowed to use any foreign substance upon the ball.”

So, if dirt can and has been used as a natural drying agent to dry off the hands, we do not believe it is mandatory for the pitcher to wipe off their hand if they pick up dirt, throw it to the ground or rub it into their hands. We do not allow dirt to be applied directly to the ball just as we do not permit any other substance. Therefore applying dirt to the hand and not wiping the hand off is perfectly legal by ASA Official Rules of Softball
And this is consistent with previous interpretations. It has NEVER been illegal to dirty one's hands. It is illegal to apply anything, including dirt, to the ball. Not a problem there.

My issue is that simply rubbing down the ball with dirt is not applying anything, just using a natural abrasive to remove the coating on the ball. Do not confuse that with mud or another form of "dirt" on the ball as being okay, it is not.