The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Potential for a big mess....

Situation:

HS V game - Bases loaded, 2 outs, 3-2 count on the batter. I am PU, pitch comes in just up and slightly inside, I call Ball 4, batter starts to swing, but stops. F2 asks me to go for help on the check swing, BU partner rings up the third strike for out number 3, inning over.

What got me thinking was what if this had happened with less than two out?
ie, ball 4, B/R heads to first, all other runners start advancing, then BU partner rings up the third strike....all the other runners are already off base and trotting toward the next base and would be easily picked off...do we let that play stand? I know what I would do, but would like to hear other opinions.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

How long of a delay before the catcher asked for you to go for help?

I think in this situation, the PU should go for help on his/her own immediately upon any check swing. Same thing as on a D3K/check swing situation.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Got to ask, right or left handed batter? Right handed, she must have gone an awfully long way around to get rung up from C position.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Situation:

HS V game - Bases loaded, 2 outs, 3-2 count on the batter. I am PU, pitch comes in just up and slightly inside, I call Ball 4, batter starts to swing, but stops. F2 asks me to go for help on the check swing, BU partner rings up the third strike for out number 3, inning over.

ie, ball 4, B/R heads to first, all other runners start advancing, then BU partner rings up the third strike....all the other runners are already off base and trotting toward the next base and would be easily picked off...do we let that play stand? I know what I would do, but would like to hear other opinions.
If I'm the BU in C, I'm going to answer NO and signal safe in the <2 outs situation. However, your partner didn't do that.

In the event the call resulted in an easy tag out of a runner who thought she was forced to advance as a result of the apparent walk, you could use 10.2.m to return runners to their previous bases. Your call of BALL was reversed by the BU, which put the runners in jeopardy.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation:

All the "what ifs" and alternate scenarios aside, if the initial or subsequent call placed either team in jeopardy of making the proper play, I'm going to correct the count and move all runners to the base they would have been, IMO, had my call not been reversed.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
If I'm the BU in C, I'm going to answer NO and signal safe in the <2 outs situation. However, your partner didn't do that.

In the event the call resulted in an easy tag out of a runner who thought she was forced to advance as a result of the apparent walk, you could use 10.2.m to return runners to their previous bases. Your call of BALL was reversed by the BU, which put the runners in jeopardy.
I hear that comment a lot. But why would one make such a blanket situation? What if she swung?

I understand the burdon of proof may be very high to make that call from C, but to say one would never call a strike from C is, in my opinion, irresponsible.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I hear that comment a lot. But why would one make such a blanket situation? What if she swung?

I understand the burdon of proof may be very high to make that call from C, but to say one would never call a strike from C is, in my opinion, irresponsible.
Robbie, I agree with you. But in the case of a delayed request with runners moving (or in the case in which it would become a dropped 3K) I'm going to lean strongly to a "no swing" call, especially from the C slot.

As an aside, I was watching a 2-ump NCAA game a couple of years ago when BU ruled a swing from C. The offensive coach questioned him, and he responded, "Coach, if she'd have made contact she would have hit it out of the park!"
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation:

Wading in to treacherous waters, in baseball, they have a rule noting that players maintain liability to be put out in this kind of situation. I prefer the fix it approach though.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
All the "what ifs" and alternate scenarios aside, if the initial or subsequent call placed either team in jeopardy of making the proper play, I'm going to correct the count and move all runners to the base they would have been, IMO, had my call not been reversed.
So you're scoring a run and advancing the other runners?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Got to ask, right or left handed batter? Right handed, she must have gone an awfully long way around to get rung up from C position.

GOT to ask???
Why do you have to ask?????
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Exactly
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
??
I'm putting the runners back.
Unless something unusaul happened would they otherwise have advanced?
And the way I read Irish's response, he would do the same.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I have no idea where you came up with that as I certainly didn't say that.

Of course, that would have been the reaction if the BU said "NO".
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post

Totally agree.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bullcrap......you call what you see.

Joel