The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm looking for a little insight on a potential balk. It is not expressly answered in the rule book or already by this forum.

Last night I was field umpire for a pony league baseball game. The RH pitcher, when attempting a pickoff at first base, lifted his pivot foot, landed and wheeled to first. The potential problem is that his pivot foot did not clear nor land behind the rubber; instead the pivot foot landed ahead of the rubber, two feet to the right.

There are a few instances in the major league rule book that states a pitcher must step backward off the rubber 8.01 (b) and 8.05 (e) to become a fielder, but nothing in 8.05 states that a pitcher has to step directly behind rubber.

Is the fact that the pitcher did not step backward a balk? Would it have mattered if the foot had crossed the plane of the rubber and still landed in front of it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nall23
I'm looking for a little insight on a potential balk. It is not expressly answered in the rule book or already by this forum.

Last night I was field umpire for a pony league baseball game. The RH pitcher, when attempting a pickoff at first base, lifted his pivot foot, landed and wheeled to first. The potential problem is that his pivot foot did not clear nor land behind the rubber; instead the pivot foot landed ahead of the rubber, two feet to the right.

There are a few instances in the major league rule book that states a pitcher must step backward off the rubber 8.01 (b) and 8.05 (e) to become a fielder, but nothing in 8.05 states that a pitcher has to step directly behind rubber.

Is the fact that the pitcher did not step backward a balk? Would it have mattered if the foot had crossed the plane of the rubber and still landed in front of it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Sounds like a "Jab-step", legal move, consider f1 "on the rubber"Just in casethat ball go sailin......
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: As discussed,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
It is accepted under all rules (of games played by players of shaving age)
Tee, you can go even further. Not even the kiddies are prohibited from making that move.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Re: I also

Quote:
Forgot to metion,

"the jab step, as developed by Jim Porter when an ace Little League pitcher!" :-}

Now guys dion't rail on me, this is a litle joke betwix Jim and yrs trly.

Tee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hey, some of those kiddies do it pretty well,I would like to see Jim's move....LOL
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: I also

Quote:
Forgot to metion,

"the jab step, as developed by Jim Porter when an ace Little League pitcher!" :-}
Yep. But there is no truth to the rumor that officials tried to have me removed from Little League because there was nothing, "little," about me.