The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher far inside, where's your slot?

Had a catcher this weekend so far inside that I could literally watch over her RIGHT shoulder and still be aligned with the inside of the plate. I found myself lining up behind her as if she was in the right place, but leaning right as the pitcher started to throw. Needless to say, this was crap on my back. If I'd kept my head in the "slot" she was offering, however, I would have had a severely blocked view of the plate.

What do you experienced guys do in this case? I eventually began starting the pitch over her right shoulder, slightly exposed, but at least getting a view. (She stayed there on lefties, by the way - setting in the proper normal slot, I was 100% exposed --- but never got hit... she was good).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Move back a bit and don't go down as much.

Not ideal, but not bad.

If the catcher is that far inside on RHB that you have to adjust that much, the benefit of the doubt on any pitch should go to the batter and be a ball.

I know that we are supposed to adjust around the players, but I have found this simple phrase works with catchers....

"Catcher...help me call strikes."
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Adjust?

Why? Set up. If you can't see it you can't call it. After a couple I'm the coach/catcher/pitcher will wonder what's wrong with you. When you tell them I bet the catcher sets up in a different location.

Also, if she is that far inside wouldn't that put her out of the catcher's box?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Catcher's Box...
Fed it is 8.5' wide by 10' Deep. She could be directly behind the batter and still be in the box.

If you can't see them as strikes call them balls. Sooner or later the coach or the catcher will get the idea.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, it seems I usually have more of a problem with batters who (legally) crowd the plate.
I'd hate to call balls cause I can't see strikes!

Depending on the particualr situation, I have used either the up and back technique or sacrificed seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand, picking it up as it gets closer to the plate...
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Duh!!!

What the hell was I thinking...?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
Why? Set up. If you can't see it you can't call it. After a couple I'm the coach/catcher/pitcher will wonder what's wrong with you. When you tell them I bet the catcher sets up in a different location.

It's the catcher's box, not the umpires box. Our job is to SEE what we have to call. If the catcher is legally where she is suppose to be, you better move in order to see what you're being paid to see. Do we tell F4 to move so we can see the tag? The slot is a guideline. If you don't have it, don't make excuses for not doing your job. Find a spot where you can properly do your job.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
It's the catcher's box, not the umpires box. Our job is to SEE what we have to call. If the catcher is legally where she is suppose to be, you better move in order to see what you're being paid to see. Do we tell F4 to move so we can see the tag? The slot is a guideline. If you don't have it, don't make excuses for not doing your job. Find a spot where you can properly do your job.
Thanks MN, Saved me the time of figuring how to respond to the misguided post.......
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post

coach/catcher/pitcher would never think there was anything wrong with me other than just "this guy's zone is small." REALLY low level ball in this case --- and no, she was inside the box.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Well --- like I said, that's what I did. Just had horrible back aches for 2 days afterward.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Had a catcher this weekend so far inside that I could literally watch over her RIGHT shoulder and still be aligned with the inside of the plate. I found myself lining up behind her as if she was in the right place, but leaning right as the pitcher started to throw. Needless to say, this was crap on my back. If I'd kept my head in the "slot" she was offering, however, I would have had a severely blocked view of the plate.

What do you experienced guys do in this case? I eventually began starting the pitch over her right shoulder, slightly exposed, but at least getting a view. (She stayed there on lefties, by the way - setting in the proper normal slot, I was 100% exposed --- but never got hit... she was good).
If there is any space between the catcher and batter try to hold the slot. If there is no room or you are uncomfortable, go up and look down through the zone. You will lose a little bit on the low side, but you will get a clear view of the outside corner.