The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Considering Softball

I'm a basketball and football guy who's looking to do a little spring work. I've thought long and hard about baseball but several years ago, someone I worked hoops with told me softball games ran much shorter, clock wise, than baseball. Any input?

What are the recommendations for mask, chest protector, and shin guards for softball?

I'm in Texas: have they moved to the charcoal grey pant, or is the heather grey the one I need? Any comments on different brands for shirts/pants? What about plate shoes?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

As you are in Texas, I am sure you are well aware, then, of the long running dispute between TASO and the UIL. At this time, I would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on uniform, as the UIL may eventually change the uni guidelines. However, currently, the uniform is powder blue mesh shirt (navy/white trim) and heather gray pants.

As far as hat goes, currently it is a navy blue hat with the letters TASO on it. By January, that is most likely going to be changed.

I personally prefer the Pro 9 chest protector. The shin guards I use and swear by are no longer available, but there are many nice ones out there.

As for a mask, if you plan on working tournaments, then go with the lightweight masks. You will be glad you paid the little extra for it. If you are just going to be just working single games, then it really doesn't matter what mask you choose. Just know that the cheaper masks will be heavier.

Shoes are a very personal matter. I know some people who swear by one shoe, while others say that exact same shoes hurts their feet. Especially where plate shoes are concerned. I would recommend going to a vendor and trying some on, just as you would in the shoe store.

As far as games go, like any sports officiating, I would recommend doing it not for the time limits or money, but for the love of the game. If you think you would prefer to work baseball, then by all means work it. You will find the 2.5 to 3 hours zip by if you are having fun, compared to the 1.5 to 2 hours average of a softball game. I work FP because I enjoy it. I enjoy the game, the pace, the mechanics. But to answer your question, yes, it is true that 7 innings of softball average around an hour less than 7 innings of baseball. At least the games that I am familiar with.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
As you are in Texas, I am sure you are well aware, then, of the long running dispute between TASO and the UIL. At this time, I would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on uniform, as the UIL may eventually change the uni guidelines. However, currently, the uniform is powder blue mesh shirt (navy/white trim) and heather gray pants.
Unfortunately, this is a district thing. Galveston is Powder over Navy. Houston is as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
As far as hat goes, currently it is a navy blue hat with the letters TASO on it. By January, that is most likely going to be changed.
Agreed - I'd get a generic 6-seamer with no logo until we know otherwise.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I'm a basketball and football guy who's looking to do a little spring work. I've thought long and hard about baseball but several years ago, someone I worked hoops with told me softball games ran much shorter, clock wise, than baseball. Any input?
If that's the difference in your choice, find something else to do.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Is lacrosse played in the spring there?
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I am a baseball guy and every time a softball umpire makes fun of me for how long my games take, it's clear they are in it only for a paycheck (normally they are in a uniform that should've been retired 10 years earlier, usually accompanied by a $10 navy jacket from Sears). You should choose based on what you'd enjoy doing.

I used to work both, but it became tiresome keeping all the rules changes and differences straight and I also didn't enjoy having scheduled softball games cannibalizing my baseball schedule, so I gave up softball years ago and haven't looked back. Others I know did the opposite (gave up baseball).
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am a baseball guy and every time a softball umpire makes fun of me for how long my games take, it's clear they are in it only for a paycheck (normally they are in a uniform that should've been retired 10 years earlier, usually accompanied by a $10 navy jacket from Sears). You should choose based on what you'd enjoy doing.

I used to work both, but it became tiresome keeping all the rules changes and differences straight and I also didn't enjoy having scheduled softball games cannibalizing my baseball schedule, so I gave up softball years ago and haven't looked back. Others I know did the opposite (gave up baseball).
I don't think Irish was making fun of anyone for baseball taking longer. It sounded more like, "if you're picking a sport based on how long a game takes, take your lazy a$$ elsewhere."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Unfortunately, this is a district thing. Galveston is Powder over Navy....
Not that it really matters, but this is not the case.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I stopped doing baseball several years ago because of the length and pace of the games. It was partially boredom, but it was also that the long games were preventing me from doing rec FP that started at six. (The money back then: $72 [check later, maybe] for one baseball game, $76 [cash on the spot] for two softball games.)

Thirty-five years ago, I would work one o'clock Saturday and Sunday doubleheaders in a semipro league, and we were usually done before six. Yet a couple of summers ago, as a mere spectator I left halfway through a seven-inning American Legion game that ended up taking almost five hours to complete. (No rain delays, no injuries, just snail's pace play.)

I can see how, with all the commercials and relief pitchers, MLB games now take so long, but I can't really explain why high school baseball games creep along so slowly.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Not that it really matters, but this is not the case.
I don't remember the guy's name, but the older shorter guy who brought the crew up from Galveston to the TASO state meeting in League City in Jan or Feb said that was what they were going with, and that's what I was told to wear at my 2 games in Dickinson. Has it changed back?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I can see how, with all the commercials and relief pitchers, MLB games now take so long, but I can't really explain why high school baseball games creep along so slowly.
No enforced timing rules on the batter and pitcher. Stepping out, stepping off, throwing over for no reason, etc. Plus at the younger ages, the endless jockeying between a runner 1 whole step off the base and catcher with a cocked arm that is NEVER going to throw it.

NONE of that in softball.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
every time a softball umpire makes fun of me for how long my games take, it's clear they are in it only for a paycheck (normally they are in a uniform that should've been retired 10 years earlier, usually accompanied by a $10 navy jacket from Sears).
no one I know
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

No enforced timing rules on the batter and pitcher. Stepping out, stepping off, throwing over for no reason, etc. Plus at the younger ages, the endless jockeying between a runner 1 whole step off the base and catcher with a cocked arm that is NEVER going to throw it.

I also notice truly ridiculous delays, like several minutes wasted looking for a helmet that fits or isn't cracked, finding the right bat, fixing the lacing on a glove, and straightening out multiple substitutions. As much I loved baseball years ago, when I stop by a local HS game, I find that I simply can't stay interested for more than a few batters. I'd much rather watch college FP on TV (with the sound off).

When I played, even nine-inning games seldom took much longer than two hours, yet the umps didn't have to hurry anybody up. I think that everybody in the park, including the players, was accustomed to a faster pace of play. I remember playing in a semipro tournament in 1969 where they had a 20-second clock for the pitchers. Nobody came close to the 20 seconds, and after the novelty wore off, nobody in the park watched the clock.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd say my average HS baseball game this season took about 1:35 - 1:40. I had games finish in 62 and 68 minutes this season (both of those were 2-1 games). My longest game was 2:10 and went extra innings.

The umpires that have very, very long games are ones that think a pitch is a "ball" by default. While my strike zone isn't huge, I get every strike I can. I don't punish a pitcher because his catcher catches it funny or because the pitcher wanted to throw inside and missed his spot (but still got the plate).

I also manage time between innings. It's 5 warmup pitches OR 1 minute between innings. The first time a pitcher only gets 3 warmups he realizes he needs to get his butt to the mound if he wants 5 and a warmup catcher needs to be ready to go.

Now, I'll admit, I haven't worked anything under the varsity level in a long time and 3 of the 4 conferences I work are the biggest in the area and have some very good baseball (for Wisconsin). But I also think it's funny that those who complain the loudest here about their games taking long are the ones who make the pitch split the plate in two before calling a strike.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Like me, but I never did both at the same time. Baseball got to the point where I just wanted to scream at the batter to get in the box and the pitcher to throw the damn ball to the plate, not to keep checking the runner at 1B that is only 5 feet off the base.

The same applies to FP softball. All the constant catcher chasing the runners back to the base when there isn't a chance in hell of that runner advancing or getting her out. THROW THE DAMN THING BACK TO THE PITCHER!

And people wonder why I prefer SP.