View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

No enforced timing rules on the batter and pitcher. Stepping out, stepping off, throwing over for no reason, etc. Plus at the younger ages, the endless jockeying between a runner 1 whole step off the base and catcher with a cocked arm that is NEVER going to throw it.

I also notice truly ridiculous delays, like several minutes wasted looking for a helmet that fits or isn't cracked, finding the right bat, fixing the lacing on a glove, and straightening out multiple substitutions. As much I loved baseball years ago, when I stop by a local HS game, I find that I simply can't stay interested for more than a few batters. I'd much rather watch college FP on TV (with the sound off).

When I played, even nine-inning games seldom took much longer than two hours, yet the umps didn't have to hurry anybody up. I think that everybody in the park, including the players, was accustomed to a faster pace of play. I remember playing in a semipro tournament in 1969 where they had a 20-second clock for the pitchers. Nobody came close to the 20 seconds, and after the novelty wore off, nobody in the park watched the clock.