View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd say my average HS baseball game this season took about 1:35 - 1:40. I had games finish in 62 and 68 minutes this season (both of those were 2-1 games). My longest game was 2:10 and went extra innings.

The umpires that have very, very long games are ones that think a pitch is a "ball" by default. While my strike zone isn't huge, I get every strike I can. I don't punish a pitcher because his catcher catches it funny or because the pitcher wanted to throw inside and missed his spot (but still got the plate).

I also manage time between innings. It's 5 warmup pitches OR 1 minute between innings. The first time a pitcher only gets 3 warmups he realizes he needs to get his butt to the mound if he wants 5 and a warmup catcher needs to be ready to go.

Now, I'll admit, I haven't worked anything under the varsity level in a long time and 3 of the 4 conferences I work are the biggest in the area and have some very good baseball (for Wisconsin). But I also think it's funny that those who complain the loudest here about their games taking long are the ones who make the pitch split the plate in two before calling a strike.