View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

As you are in Texas, I am sure you are well aware, then, of the long running dispute between TASO and the UIL. At this time, I would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on uniform, as the UIL may eventually change the uni guidelines. However, currently, the uniform is powder blue mesh shirt (navy/white trim) and heather gray pants.

As far as hat goes, currently it is a navy blue hat with the letters TASO on it. By January, that is most likely going to be changed.

I personally prefer the Pro 9 chest protector. The shin guards I use and swear by are no longer available, but there are many nice ones out there.

As for a mask, if you plan on working tournaments, then go with the lightweight masks. You will be glad you paid the little extra for it. If you are just going to be just working single games, then it really doesn't matter what mask you choose. Just know that the cheaper masks will be heavier.

Shoes are a very personal matter. I know some people who swear by one shoe, while others say that exact same shoes hurts their feet. Especially where plate shoes are concerned. I would recommend going to a vendor and trying some on, just as you would in the shoe store.

As far as games go, like any sports officiating, I would recommend doing it not for the time limits or money, but for the love of the game. If you think you would prefer to work baseball, then by all means work it. You will find the 2.5 to 3 hours zip by if you are having fun, compared to the 1.5 to 2 hours average of a softball game. I work FP because I enjoy it. I enjoy the game, the pace, the mechanics. But to answer your question, yes, it is true that 7 innings of softball average around an hour less than 7 innings of baseball. At least the games that I am familiar with.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.