Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 11:43pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

[ASA Co-Ed] Dead Ball Appeal

Here is a situation from tonight's semifinal game:

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, 1 out.

Batter flies out to left field for second out. R1 advances to third and the relay from F7 to F5 is misplayed and trickles into dead ball territory. R1 is awarded home and R2 is awarded second since she stayed at first.

While R1 is halfway between 3rd and home, the umpire rules her out because the defense appealed her leaving early and he agrees.

Questions:
1) Shouldn't a dead ball appeal in this situation not be allowed until after all runners complete their baserunning?

2) If I had thought about it then (and not now), could I have told R1 to go back to third, then back to second, and then go to 3rd and home since the offense tipped their hand with a premature appeal? Or does ASA have wording that once a runner advances to a base passed the missed one, it's too late to correct?

While it did cost us a chance to win by the 12 run rule, we luckily still won.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 04:00pm.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

The umpire should have allowed the runners to complete their baserunning responsibilities. While it's unlikely that she would have corrected her mistake, the opportunity was still taken away from her while she was still in the process of running the bases.

I think the appeal was honored a little too early.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Here is a situation from tonight's semifinal game:

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, 1 out.

Batter flies out to left field for second out. R1 advances to third and the relay from F7 to F5 is misplayed and trickles into dead ball territory. R1 is awarded home and R2 is awarded second since she stayed at first.
That's wrong. R1 would have been awarded home anyway. R2 should have been awarded 3B.

Quote:
While R1 is halfway between 3rd and home, the umpire rules her out because the defense appealed her leaving early and he agrees.

Questions:
1) Shouldn't a dead ball appeal in this situation not be allowed until after all runners complete their baserunning?

2) If I had thought about it then (and not now), could I have told R1 to go back to third, then back to second, and then go to 3rd and home since the offense tipped their hand with a premautre appeal? Or does ASA have wording that once a runner advances to a base passed the missed one, it's too late to correct?
When did the umpire announce the awards? Where was R1 when the award was announced?
Quote:

While it did cost us a chance to win by the 12 run rule, we luckily still won.
What 12-run rule? Must be a local thing or you meant the "10-run rule".
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What 12-run rule? Must be a local thing or you meant the "10-run rule".
We have a league here that still has the old "12 after 5" rule. I wish they'd get with the program, but every rule change has to be "voted in" by the players.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
R1 advances to third and the relay from F7 to F5 is misplayed and trickles into dead ball territory. R1 is awarded home and R2 is awarded second since she stayed at first.
Why was it ruled a lost possession when it reads like an overthrow? Or was it a rule mistake?
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 04:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why was it ruled a lost possession when it reads like an overthrow? Or was it a rule mistake?
To answer some various questions:
  • Our league's run differential rule is 20 runs after 4 innings and 12 after 5.
  • R1 was at third base when the ball entered DBT.
  • I'm not 100% sure if the umpire awarded R2 second or third. That was lost in the confusion where our runner was called out before she reached home. The original fly out was out #2 and with the out on appeal being the third out, R2's position suddenly didn't matter.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball