The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
NCAA SUIP rumor

I was just told a third hand report (rumor?) that the NCAA has not renewed the contract of Kathy Strahm, and that the other members of the SUIP, Emily Alexander and Ed Crane, have resigned. Speculation is that the nonrenewal was fallout from the illegal pitch issues at the WCWS, and that the other staff members have resigned in support of Kathy.

I don't expect to be on the inside, or with any additional information, just throwing out what I was told.

Anyone here have any further insight or information?
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I was just told a third hand report (rumor?) that the NCAA has not renewed the contract of Kathy Strahm, and that the other members of the SUIP, Emily Alexander and Ed Crane, have resigned. Speculation is that the nonrenewal was fallout from the illegal pitch issues at the WCWS, and that the other staff members have resigned in support of Kathy.

I don't expect to be on the inside, or with any additional information, just throwing out what I was told.

Anyone here have any further insight or information?
I heard much the same via an email I received earlier today. That's a big loss.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I was just told a third hand report (rumor?) that the NCAA has not renewed the contract of Kathy Strahm, and that the other members of the SUIP, Emily Alexander and Ed Crane, have resigned. Speculation is that the nonrenewal was fallout from the illegal pitch issues at the WCWS, and that the other staff members have resigned in support of Kathy.

I don't expect to be on the inside, or with any additional information, just throwing out what I was told.

Anyone here have any further insight or information?
Why does Kathy have to take the hit? She was put into the impossible situation during WCWS and the regular season by the higher ups in the NCAA to assure the enforcement of IPs (the most unpopular call in the game) by NCAA umps. She, Emily, and others did the best they could to carry out this mandate. From the SUIP manual, the clinic CD-rom, SUIP bulletins, and videos posted on the SUIP website, IP's and their enforcement were front and center.
To any of you who have been around the NCAA a long time, what kind of directive (if any) do you think the WCWS crews were given on calling IP's?
So what's next? Who takes Kathy's place? Who fills the void of no Emily Alexander or Ed Crane? What will the NCCA's position on IP's be next season? Do they change the rule? Do they change the penalty?
Crappy deal in IMO. kudos to Emily and Ed for supporting Kathy.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Why does Kathy have to take the hit? She was put into the impossible situation during WCWS and the regular season by the higher ups in the NCAA to assure the enforcement of IPs (the most unpopular call in the game) by NCAA umps. She, Emily, and others did the best they could to carry out this mandate. From the SUIP manual, the clinic CD-rom, SUIP bulletins, and videos posted on the SUIP website, IP's and their enforcement were front and center.
To any of you who have been around the NCAA a long time, what kind of directive (if any) do you think the WCWS crews were given on calling IP's?
So what's next? Who takes Kathy's place? Who fills the void of no Emily Alexander or Ed Crane? What will the NCCA's position on IP's be next season? Do they change the rule? Do they change the penalty?
Crappy deal in IMO. kudos to Emily and Ed for supporting Kathy.
Who knows what else has gone on behind closed doors? KS had some issues last years NCAAs in OKC, so maybe that is why they "targeted" her. Personally, I don't buy into the sympathy resignations as a good idea for the sake of support. I could understand if someone else has been named with whom Emily and Ed felt reluctent to work with, but we really don't know and unless someone from the inside speaks....

If this was completely over the IPs this year, then I wouldn't blame everyone from running away as fast as possible. No good reason to jump on a bus if the driver is just going to throw you under it.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I heard much the same via an email I received earlier today. That's a big loss.
I'm told that all three are out as a fact of life.

It will be interesting seeing how this shakes out.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm told that all three are out as a fact of life.
This is correct as I understand it. Kathy was the only one of the three hired by the committee. Emily and Ed were her appointees.

I'm not so sure that this is largely due to IPs.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
This is correct as I understand it. Kathy was the only one of the three hired by the committee. Emily and Ed were her appointees.

I'm not so sure that this is largely due to IPs.
Now the good stuff starts. Where do they go from here?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, maybe longer. I just assumed she'd reached her term limit. For now though, hmmmmmmmmm - I wonder.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
So, Steve, send in your application yet?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
This is correct as I understand it. Kathy was the only one of the three hired by the committee. Emily and Ed were her appointees.

I'm not so sure that this is largely due to IPs.
On the Camps&Clinics link on the SUIP site, the notice for the upcoming College Umpire Camp for NCAA Umpires in Rock Hill, SC; Emily and Ed are each now listed as former SUIP Supervisor.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
The two events are unrelated. The NCAA, in an effort to reach some consistency across all sports, instituted some new regulations. One being a two year rule cycle, which softball is now under. The other being that rule interpreters can only serve for a max of 8 years. Dee was allowed to serve longer as a matter of transition.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 746
Just in.

NCAA is meeting next week with ASA to discuss taking over the umpring of the college game.

Ronald
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Just in.

NCAA is meeting next week with ASA to discuss taking over the umpring of the college game.

Ronald
Full circle.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Would such a change be a positive or a negative?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumor has it . . . Tim C Baseball 19 Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:17pm
Rumor that has been going around... bigwes68 Basketball 9 Sat Dec 10, 2005 08:23am
Heard a rumor.... mick Basketball 5 Thu Apr 10, 2003 07:20am
Strange Rumor.... kellerumps Softball 3 Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:58pm
Rumor Pay Chart for Officials... MREUROREF Basketball 11 Thu Dec 14, 2000 07:26pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1