The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Rumor has it . . .

I was told last night that the CCA was going to totally revamp the mechanics for a Two Umpire Crew for next season.

Have any of you heard that?

Regards,
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:13pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The only one I read about in the 2010 CCA was asking umpires to look at check swing appeals with the three umpire crew and going to the umpire on the line versus the umpire that might be in B or C. This was something that they might change.

If so, I wasted $20 on the 2010 CCA. Bummer.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

With the amount of MiLB umpires finding their way into the NCAA ranks, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It seems to me the three man changes over the past few years were taken from their input.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Between Pro mechanics and NCAA mechanics I can't see things getting too crazy either way...I don't think there are too many more ways to cover things...yet when plays come up, mechanics can always be tweaked...usually for the better.

Personally, I'd like to see more of a mesh between CCA and Pro mechanics...remembering three rule sets can be enough of a challenge then add three different mechanic sets to that and my understanding is that NCAA is evaluated strictly on CCA so umpires must use proper CCA mechanics even though they came out of Pro School or were trained by pro umpires...I'm not saying it's wrong...but it can make it tough on the umpire.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Tee, you are correct

At the Philly NCAA clinic, Tom Hiler asked for suggestions about changing 2 man mechanics for next year's CCA manual.

I am not very positive about this at this point, but if people want to umpire NCAA baseball, then you have to do CCA stuff. I am sure I will be sending along my .02 about it.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Between Pro mechanics and NCAA mechanics I can't see things getting too crazy either way...I don't think there are too many more ways to cover things...yet when plays come up, mechanics can always be tweaked...usually for the better.

Personally, I'd like to see more of a mesh between CCA and Pro mechanics...remembering three rule sets can be enough of a challenge then add three different mechanic sets to that and my understanding is that NCAA is evaluated strictly on CCA so umpires must use proper CCA mechanics even though they came out of Pro School or were trained by pro umpires...I'm not saying it's wrong...but it can make it tough on the umpire.
AMEN, all the way around here Johnny. For the most part, the mechanics can be easily merged for an overall solid set of mechanics. As for the rules, FED needs to take a serious look at the NCAA format, only change needed at that point IMHO, would be the substitution rule.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 02:26pm. Reason: because I can't spell worth a damn
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, from what has been announced, they will be focusing on 2-man for 2011 and looking a few tweaks to 3-man.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes, from what has been announced, they will be focusing on 2-man for 2011 and looking a few tweaks to 3-man.
At school a couple of use received emails about this, but none of the instructors I talked with had heard about it. Personally I think it would be great to consolidate the two systms, but from what I've seen, any compromise will have to come from the CCA side.

BTW: Is my big grin obvious yet?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

So you are headed to PBUC? Grats then. And forget what everyone tells ya, have a blast and be yourself.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ken, besides the few changes from this year, they want to change some more.. I wonder about a few ....I really like the CCA way, but then again I haven't worked pro 3man either..LOL

I know Hiler was a MiLB guy, so maybe this would be easy for him to teach?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
The only one I read about in the 2010 CCA was asking umpires to look at check swing appeals with the three umpire crew and going to the umpire on the line versus the umpire that might be in B or C. This was something that they might change.

If so, I wasted $20 on the 2010 CCA. Bummer.
They also changed fly ball responsibility...U1 now is the QB in the 3-man...

Last edited by Umpmazza; Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 01:10am.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 11:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
They also changed fly ball responsibility...U1 Know is the QB in the 3-man...
They didn't change the check swing mechanic in this year's book.

Yes, I did read the new QB portion though.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

U1 as the qb is a MiLB thing and a good change IMO, there is a push by some to allow U2 an option with R1 so he could be in B or C and a few guys I work with would like to see them add another MiLB mechanic that we use, with R1 and U1 out on a trouble ball, allow the PU to come up to 1B and have U2 hold at the cutout at 2B. That way we maintain having an umpire ahead of the runner and the PU isn't really doing anything onthis play any way and he has a great look at the tag up at 1B. He is also in a great spot to take this play if he comes up in foul ground, he can slide either way easily from there and have a great look. There are others, but I would be very happy with those two changes.

As far as CCA two man, I just work what they taught me at Jimmy's. I would have to read that section to see what might be different.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U1 as the qb is a MiLB thing and a good change IMO, there is a push by some to allow U2 an option with R1 so he could be in B or C and a few guys I work with would like to see them add another MiLB mechanic that we use, with R1 and U1 out on a trouble ball, allow the PU to come up to 1B and have U2 hold at the cutout at 2B. That way we maintain having an umpire ahead of the runner and the PU isn't really doing anything onthis play any way and he has a great look at the tag up at 1B. He is also in a great spot to take this play if he comes up in foul ground, he can slide either way easily from there and have a great look. There are others, but I would be very happy with those two changes.

As far as CCA two man, I just work what they taught me at Jimmy's. I would have to read that section to see what might be different.
On this play with the PU going up the 1st base line, he isnt going to need to get all the way, unless he reads a play there... and if the ball gets down U3 would be able to move over to 3rd to cover this play ( almost like a reverse mechanic) and then Pu can turn around a get home for a play at the plate.. not a bad Idea.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U1 as the qb is a MiLB thing and a good change IMO, there is a push by some to allow U2 an option with R1 so he could be in B or C
That's already allowed (with a RH batter). They won't change it with a LH batter unless they also change the "half swing" mechanic to go to the person on the line.