The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA SUIP rumor

I was just told a third hand report (rumor?) that the NCAA has not renewed the contract of Kathy Strahm, and that the other members of the SUIP, Emily Alexander and Ed Crane, have resigned. Speculation is that the nonrenewal was fallout from the illegal pitch issues at the WCWS, and that the other staff members have resigned in support of Kathy.

I don't expect to be on the inside, or with any additional information, just throwing out what I was told.

Anyone here have any further insight or information?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I was just told a third hand report (rumor?) that the NCAA has not renewed the contract of Kathy Strahm, and that the other members of the SUIP, Emily Alexander and Ed Crane, have resigned. Speculation is that the nonrenewal was fallout from the illegal pitch issues at the WCWS, and that the other staff members have resigned in support of Kathy.

I don't expect to be on the inside, or with any additional information, just throwing out what I was told.

I heard much the same via an email I received earlier today. That's a big loss.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why does Kathy have to take the hit? She was put into the impossible situation during WCWS and the regular season by the higher ups in the NCAA to assure the enforcement of IPs (the most unpopular call in the game) by NCAA umps. She, Emily, and others did the best they could to carry out this mandate. From the SUIP manual, the clinic CD-rom, SUIP bulletins, and videos posted on the SUIP website, IP's and their enforcement were front and center.
To any of you who have been around the NCAA a long time, what kind of directive (if any) do you think the WCWS crews were given on calling IP's?
So what's next? Who takes Kathy's place? Who fills the void of no Emily Alexander or Ed Crane? What will the NCCA's position on IP's be next season? Do they change the rule? Do they change the penalty?
Crappy deal in IMO. kudos to Emily and Ed for supporting Kathy.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Why does Kathy have to take the hit? She was put into the impossible situation during WCWS and the regular season by the higher ups in the NCAA to assure the enforcement of IPs (the most unpopular call in the game) by NCAA umps. She, Emily, and others did the best they could to carry out this mandate. From the SUIP manual, the clinic CD-rom, SUIP bulletins, and videos posted on the SUIP website, IP's and their enforcement were front and center.
To any of you who have been around the NCAA a long time, what kind of directive (if any) do you think the WCWS crews were given on calling IP's?
So what's next? Who takes Kathy's place? Who fills the void of no Emily Alexander or Ed Crane? What will the NCCA's position on IP's be next season? Do they change the rule? Do they change the penalty?
Crappy deal in IMO. kudos to Emily and Ed for supporting Kathy.
Who knows what else has gone on behind closed doors? KS had some issues last years NCAAs in OKC, so maybe that is why they "targeted" her. Personally, I don't buy into the sympathy resignations as a good idea for the sake of support. I could understand if someone else has been named with whom Emily and Ed felt reluctent to work with, but we really don't know and unless someone from the inside speaks....

If this was completely over the IPs this year, then I wouldn't blame everyone from running away as fast as possible. No good reason to jump on a bus if the driver is just going to throw you under it.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I heard much the same via an email I received earlier today. That's a big loss.
I'm told that all three are out as a fact of life.

It will be interesting seeing how this shakes out.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm told that all three are out as a fact of life.
This is correct as I understand it. Kathy was the only one of the three hired by the committee. Emily and Ed were her appointees.

I'm not so sure that this is largely due to IPs.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
This is correct as I understand it. Kathy was the only one of the three hired by the committee. Emily and Ed were her appointees.

Now the good stuff starts. Where do they go from here?
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In what may (or may not) be related, NCAA is also advertising for a replacement for Dee Abrahamson. The ad (seen on NFCA) notes 4 year term, with a possible 2nd term; wonder how/if that ties in.
I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, maybe longer. I just assumed she'd reached her term limit. For now though, hmmmmmmmmm - I wonder.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, Steve, send in your application yet?
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post

On the Camps&Clinics link on the SUIP site, the notice for the upcoming College Umpire Camp for NCAA Umpires in Rock Hill, SC; Emily and Ed are each now listed as former SUIP Supervisor.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The two events are unrelated. The NCAA, in an effort to reach some consistency across all sports, instituted some new regulations. One being a two year rule cycle, which softball is now under. The other being that rule interpreters can only serve for a max of 8 years. Dee was allowed to serve longer as a matter of transition.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Just in.

NCAA is meeting next week with ASA to discuss taking over the umpring of the college game.

Ronald
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Just in.

NCAA is meeting next week with ASA to discuss taking over the umpring of the college game.

Ronald
Full circle.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Would such a change be a positive or a negative?