The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.
Having my thread beer jacked was far better than others ways it could have been jacked.

Jes sayin..........

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
There are only 2 classifications of beer: lager and ale. Every other beer is a subcategory of those. Porter is an ale and pilsner is a lager, for example.
Correct as usual, King Friday!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

But, what makes an ale an ale, and what makes a lager a lager?
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
But, what makes an ale an ale, and what makes a lager a lager?
The manner in which they are fermented.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ales are brewed at warmer temperatures with top-fermenting yeasts. Lagers are brewed at cooler temperatures with bottom-fermenting yeasts... unless you live in one of the states that mandates a labeling of "Ale" based on alcohol strength.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Ales are fermentedat warmer temperatures with top-fermenting yeasts. Lagers are fermentedat cooler temperatures with bottom-fermenting yeasts... unless you live in one of the states that mandates a labeling of "Ale" based on alcohol strength.
Fixed it for ya!

Last edited by Umpteenth; Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 02:39pm.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Based on the description in the OP, I took it as AtlUmp Steve did...that it was not a dropped 3K sitch.
You may also have noted, "B4" was the batter with two runners on

As stated, the batter is out. Doesn't make any difference if she was swinging or not. The batter is not eligible to advance to 1B since it was occupied at the time of the pitch.

You cannot rule that the BR interfered with a D3K since neither existed in this case.

Best case scenario, rule the ball dead as a blocked ball and return the runners if, IYJ, there was no play to be had by the catcher.

Worst case scenario, enforce 8.7.P and call the runner closest to home out (rule only requires the possibility of a play, not an out) and return the trailing runner to the base last touched at the time of the interference.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

We're doing dinner and a movie at the Alamo draft house. I just ordered a St. Arnold, will report back after I've tried it.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We're doing dinner and a movie at the Alamo draft house. I just ordered a St. Arnold, will report back after I've tried it.
Which St. Arnold? They have several brews.

Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

As stated, the batter is out. Doesn't make any difference if she was swinging or not. The batter is not eligible to advance to 1B since it was occupied at the time of the pitch.

You cannot rule that the BR interfered with a D3K since neither existed in this case.

Best case scenario, rule the ball dead as a blocked ball and return the runners if, IYJ, there was no play to be had by the catcher.

Worst case scenario, enforce 8.7.P and call the runner closest to home out (rule only requires the possibility of a play, not an out) and return the trailing runner to the base last touched at the time of the interference.
Seems like the only important question here is who is buying the beer.

Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
Having my thread beer jacked was far better than others ways it could have been jacked.

Jes sayin..........
I like the cut of your jib!

Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Irish,
Both scenarios make sense.
Curious....how did the three of you rule in that 14U game where this play occurred....the best case scenario or the worst case scenario?
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Myself, I'm a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat fan.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 10:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Which St. Arnold? They have several brews.
Sorry...Amber Ale. Honestly, I was a little disappointed.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Irish,
Both scenarios make sense.
Curious....how did the three of you rule in that 14U game where this play occurred....the best case scenario or the worst case scenario?
The umpires on the field just killed the ball, and "sold" the runners would have had the base made, so they allowed them to stay.

This type of ruling occurs too often as umpires try to be "fair" and use that to justify a ruling without regards to the actual rule.

Did the catcher have a play? Can't tell since the ball was hit with the bat as she reached for it. That act there kills ANYTHING and if the runners did not have the base by that point (they did not), the minimum is going back to the previous base.

Umpires need to remember there are two teams on the field and they deserve equal treatment. The offense is the team that caused the problem, so I cannot see "rewarding" them with a free base.