The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to illiniwek8
Obstruction on an Appeal?

So I am watching my daughters softball game tonight and the runner at second takes off for third on a batted ball.....the ball is hit to the shortstop...soft line drive which is taking the shortstop towards second base...the shortstop misses the ball and then the runner runs into the shortstop....the left center fielder gets the ball and throws the runner out at 3rd.....the base umpire...who has the play happen right in front of him and sees everything...does not call anything other than calling the runner out at 3rd.....after the runner gets into the dugout...the coach calls time and starts talking to the home plate umpire and gets him to call obstruction on our shortstop.......my question/statement is this: obstruction cannot be appealed.....right? This coach talked the home plate umpire into calling obstruction....not his call...am I right? The base umpire had the play happen right in front of him and did not call it........the shortstop was making an initial play on the ball and the runner then ran into the shortstop.......I thought good no call......I was upset when the coach talked the home plate umpire into calling obstruction after the fact! The base umpire was the league coordinator of officials and is a licensed NFHS umpire....the plate umpire was a non-licensed high school junior....ummmmm anyone care to share their thoughts? Thanks in advance......
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

To answer your questions and not necessary in order.....either umpire can call obstruction, however I will agree that the obstruction call should have been made immediately if the plate umpire believed that obstruction had taken place.

"the shortstop misses the ball and then the runner runs into the shortstop."

This sounds like a play that should be seen in order for us to rule on as timing is everything, however it sounds like obstruction may have been the correct rule. If the fielder is done making an attempt at the ball and is blocking the path of the runner, you have obstruction...remember obstruction does not have to be intentional.......by the same token if the fielder was still in the act of attempting to field the ball then you could have had interference. Again it all depends on the timing....you said that the shortstop missed the ball, but later you said that she was in the act of making the initial play.....whatever she was doing makes a difference on what call should have been made.

"the base umpire...who has the play happen right in front of him and sees everything...does not call anything other than calling the runner out at 3rd....."

actually this should have been the plate umpires call.....The throw came from the outfield so the plate umpire would have the lead runner.....

As for changing a call on appeal.....Like I said the call should have been made immediately....however I don't believe that there is anything prohibiting us from making an obstruction call on appeal and if there is I'm sure somebody will correct me....we do want to try and get the call correct. It sounds like this was an inexperienced group of umpires that I doubt have sat through the countless hours of obstruction/interference discussions that many of us have sat through so we are prepared for plays like this.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

The real problem I have is the coach going to the PU and the PU making the decision on his own. OBS is any umpires call, however, since it happened right in front of the BU, the two should get together and discuss what happened. As was mentioned earlier, HTBT, but did the fielder have the opportunity to make the play? Where was the ball when the contact was made?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
The real problem I have is the coach going to the PU and the PU making the decision on his own. OBS is any umpires call, however, since it happened right in front of the BU, the two should get together and discuss what happened. As was mentioned earlier, HTBT, but did the fielder have the opportunity to make the play? Where was the ball when the contact was made?
To answer your last question, the OP says:
"the shortstop misses the ball and then the runner runs into the shortstop...."

As to your first statement, I agree, that is what should have happened.
In fact what should have happened is that the PU should have indicated obstruction (if he believed obstruction occurred) once he saw PU not making the signal. Additionally, what should have happened is that BU should have signaled "nothing" if he believed that the collision was not obstruction and not interference. That would have mad it clear that the oach questioning the call should have gone to the BU with his question who then could have consulted with the BU if he felt he missed something.

And finally, yes it was PU's call at 3rd - which tells me that these guys (or gals) where not 100% up on their mechanics, anyway.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwek8 View Post
So I am watching my daughters softball game tonight and the runner at second takes off for third on a batted ball.....the ball is hit to the shortstop...soft line drive which is taking the shortstop towards second base...the shortstop misses the ball and then the runner runs into the shortstop....the left center fielder gets the ball and throws the runner out at 3rd.....the base umpire...who has the play happen right in front of him and sees everything...does not call anything other than calling the runner out at 3rd.....after the runner gets into the dugout...the coach calls time and starts talking to the home plate umpire and gets him to call obstruction on our shortstop.......my question/statement is this: obstruction cannot be appealed.....right? This coach talked the home plate umpire into calling obstruction....not his call...am I right? The base umpire had the play happen right in front of him and did not call it........the shortstop was making an initial play on the ball and the runner then ran into the shortstop.......I thought good no call......I was upset when the coach talked the home plate umpire into calling obstruction after the fact! The base umpire was the league coordinator of officials and is a licensed NFHS umpire....the plate umpire was a non-licensed high school junior....ummmmm anyone care to share their thoughts? Thanks in advance......
Thoughts, yes.....

1) The umpire mechanics were not the best.
2) Sounds like they got the call right
3) What kind of league is this?, how old are the kids? how much are you paying? the umpires? -
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine this contact, as described, being nothing. It's INT or OBS. Lots of screwups here.

HC should not have gone to PU first. PU should have called it if he saw it. Having not made the call immediately, PU should not have "overruled" BU, but rather they should have gotten together - perhaps BU on the spot saw something differently than PU.

However, as described, this is textbook obstruction, even by your own description.

West Houston Mike