The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

The beer thread

Okay, in all fairness, I thought that I would start a beer thread that can be hijacked by actual umpire business.

I was at a grocery store today and was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find sixers of Bridgeport IPA. I did not know that Bridgeport was distributed this far east! Anyway, I picked some up. It has been years since I last had some, and then it was on tap.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone up for an OBS debate?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 03:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.
Glad we solved that. Now, pilsner or pale ale?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

He!! I've got a score - or in words Big Slick understands - dessert!
that's always a good thing.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 09:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

OK fine...score the runner.

I'm enjoying a Session Lager right now, very tasty!
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

There are only 2 classifications of beer: lager and ale. Every other beer is a subcategory of those. Porter is an ale and pilsner is a lager, for example.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Had a play tonight in the State 14U Championship game.

Runners on 1st & 2nd, B4 strikes out and in disgust swings the bat downward striking the ball which was dropped by F2. Runners advanced one base and B4 headed to the dugout.

As one of the three umpires involved in the meeting after coach questions "play", what are you thinking and saying?
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Had a play tonight in the State 14U Championship game.

Runners on 1st & 2nd, B4 strikes out and in disgust swings the bat downward striking the ball which was dropped by F2. Runners advanced one base and B4 headed to the dugout.

As one of the three umpires involved in the meeting after coach questions "play", what are you thinking and saying?
OK, I'll take a stab (w/o the books which are still in the car) to get the conversation/debate rolling:

I'm assuming by the description of the sitch, that B4 did not swing at the 3rd strike and that it was a called 3rd strike by the PU.

I don't see how the runners can be allowed to advance. Offensive player (B4) did something wrong in "striking the ball which was dropped by F2."

At the very least, dead ball and the runners return to 2B and 1B.

However, as the ball that F2 dropped was a live ball, and B4 stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out, do we not have interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out?

Irish, interesting sitch to be sure. Curious to hear everyone else's opinion and the definitive correct ruling.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
However, as the ball that F2 dropped was a live ball, and B4 stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out, do we not have interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out?
The batter could not be called out before hittiing the ball as it was an U3K, so "stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out" is not the case.
I think I would have ruled batter-runner interference, dead ball, BR out, no runners advance.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The batter could not be called out before hittiing the ball as it was an U3K, so "stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out" is not the case.
I think I would have ruled batter-runner interference, dead ball, BR out, no runners advance.
If runners advance, not two outs; and first base was occupied. So batter is out, never became a batter-runner.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Based on the description in the OP, I took it as AtlUmp Steve did...that it was not a dropped 3K sitch.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
If runners advance, not two outs; and first base was occupied. So batter is out, never became a batter-runner.
Yeah, the OP doesn't say outs, so "B4 headed to dugout" is ambiguous. But does "Runners advanced" mean legally?
If not 2 outs, B4 is out on the K. But did she interfere with the catcher getting another out?
If INT, then KJump's "interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out" would apply.
But then is B4 treated as a retired runner?

Looks like a good reason for 3 umpires.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what are you thinking and saying?
I'm thinking I need a beer.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
I'm thinking I need a beer.
My thoughts, exactly!