The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The beer thread (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58479-beer-thread.html)

Skahtboi Thu Jun 24, 2010 03:30pm

The beer thread

Okay, in all fairness, I thought that I would start a beer thread that can be hijacked by actual umpire business. :D

I was at a grocery store today and was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find sixers of Bridgeport IPA. I did not know that Bridgeport was distributed this far east! Anyway, I picked some up. It has been years since I last had some, and then it was on tap.

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 24, 2010 03:35pm

Anyone up for an OBS debate?

Welpe Thu Jun 24, 2010 03:47pm

I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 24, 2010 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 683252)
I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.

Glad we solved that. Now, pilsner or pale ale?

Steve M Thu Jun 24, 2010 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 683252)

He!! I've got a score - or in words Big Slick understands - dessert!
that's always a good thing.

Welpe Thu Jun 24, 2010 09:18pm

OK fine...score the runner. :D

I'm enjoying a Session Lager right now, very tasty!

Dakota Thu Jun 24, 2010 09:40pm

There are only 2 classifications of beer: lager and ale. Every other beer is a subcategory of those. Porter is an ale and pilsner is a lager, for example.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:06pm

Had a play tonight in the State 14U Championship game.

Runners on 1st & 2nd, B4 strikes out and in disgust swings the bat downward striking the ball which was dropped by F2. Runners advanced one base and B4 headed to the dugout.

As one of the three umpires involved in the meeting after coach questions "play", what are you thinking and saying?

KJUmp Fri Jun 25, 2010 05:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 683288)
Had a play tonight in the State 14U Championship game.

Runners on 1st & 2nd, B4 strikes out and in disgust swings the bat downward striking the ball which was dropped by F2. Runners advanced one base and B4 headed to the dugout.

As one of the three umpires involved in the meeting after coach questions "play", what are you thinking and saying?

OK, I'll take a stab (w/o the books which are still in the car) to get the conversation/debate rolling:

I'm assuming by the description of the sitch, that B4 did not swing at the 3rd strike and that it was a called 3rd strike by the PU.

I don't see how the runners can be allowed to advance. Offensive player (B4) did something wrong in "striking the ball which was dropped by F2."

At the very least, dead ball and the runners return to 2B and 1B.

However, as the ball that F2 dropped was a live ball, and B4 stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out, do we not have interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out?

Irish, interesting sitch to be sure. Curious to hear everyone else's opinion and the definitive correct ruling.

CecilOne Fri Jun 25, 2010 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 683293)
However, as the ball that F2 dropped was a live ball, and B4 stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out, do we not have interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out?

The batter could not be called out before hittiing the ball as it was an U3K, so "stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out" is not the case.
I think I would have ruled batter-runner interference, dead ball, BR out, no runners advance.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Jun 25, 2010 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 683294)
The batter could not be called out before hittiing the ball as it was an U3K, so "stuck it with her bat AFTER she was called out" is not the case.
I think I would have ruled batter-runner interference, dead ball, BR out, no runners advance.

If runners advance, not two outs; and first base was occupied. So batter is out, never became a batter-runner.

KJUmp Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 683294)

Based on the description in the OP, I took it as AtlUmp Steve did...that it was not a dropped 3K sitch.

CecilOne Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 683296)
If runners advance, not two outs; and first base was occupied. So batter is out, never became a batter-runner.

Yeah, the OP doesn't say outs, so "B4 headed to dugout" is ambiguous. But does "Runners advanced" mean legally?
If not 2 outs, B4 is out on the K. But did she interfere with the catcher getting another out?
If INT, then KJump's "interference on B4 after being put out, and as such, the runner nearest home is also called out" would apply.
But then is B4 treated as a retired runner?

Looks like a good reason for 3 umpires. :)

JefferMC Fri Jun 25, 2010 08:24am

Quote:

what are you thinking and saying?
I'm thinking I need a beer.

Dakota Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC (Post 683305)
I'm thinking I need a beer.

My thoughts, exactly! :)