The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

DP/Flex Final Question

moved to new thread this question..

Thank you all that answered my previous post regarding the Flex/DP. I've looked through all the previous posts and still have one additional question. My brother was certainly correct that you guys have the info and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan on using this scenario in the State Playoffs this year and need some input as to its validity.

Line Up Card
Num Name Pos
1 Angie 1
2 Barbie 2
3 Casey 8
4 Darla DP
5..9 ...
10 Julie (Flex) 3

At the start of the first inning, Darla (DP) goes in on defense and plays for Casey. Throughout the entire game, Casey actually stays on the bench for Defense but bats on Offense. I do this so that I have a fast running Flex tied to my DP. Had Darla not been a DP since she's not a pitcher or catcher, the only way I can put a fast runner in the game for her when she gets on base is to substitute. I don't have any other speed other than my Flex who I need on Defense only.

So when we come up on offense, Angie hits a single and gets on base. I immediately bring my Flex in to run for her. Julie is still my Flex and has not left game. I do this throughout the game with Angie and Julie. Angie hits 3 times and gets on base, Julie runs 3 times for her.

Do you guys see anything wrong with playing in this manner? On a previous post someone made a great example of considering the "bench" as a defensive position when playing with a Flex.

Thanks again!
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPRIVITOR View Post
moved to new thread this question..

Thank you all that answered my previous post regarding the Flex/DP. I've looked through all the previous posts and still have one additional question. My brother was certainly correct that you guys have the info and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan on using this scenario in the State Playoffs this year and need some input as to its validity.

Line Up Card
Num Name Pos
1 Angie 1
2 Barbie 2
3 Casey 8
4 Darla DP
5..9 ...
10 Julie (Flex) 3

At the start of the first inning, Darla (DP) goes in on defense and plays for Casey. Throughout the entire game, Casey actually stays on the bench for Defense but bats on Offense. I do this so that I have a fast running Flex tied to my DP. Had Darla not been a DP since she's not a pitcher or catcher, the only way I can put a fast runner in the game for her when she gets on base is to substitute. I don't have any other speed other than my Flex who I need on Defense only.

So when we come up on offense, Angie hits a single and gets on base. I immediately bring my Flex in to run for her. Julie is still my Flex and has not left game. I do this throughout the game with Angie and Julie. Angie hits 3 times and gets on base, Julie runs 3 times for her.

Do you guys see anything wrong with playing in this manner? On a previous post someone made a great example of considering the "bench" as a defensive position when playing with a Flex.

Thanks again!

Won't work coach. Angie is not the DP. The FLEX can only enter on offense in the DP slot.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks again!
The way you have your lineup that is not allowed. When you bring in the Flex to run, the Flex is on offense, and the only player the Flex may run or bat for is the DP. The DP and Flex may not be on offense at the same time.

If you want someone to run for your F1, as in your question, you can have a courtesy runner for the pitcher (a player who has never been in the game at any position), or you can bring in an actual substitute to run.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re worded

as important as this question is to me, I cannot believe that I misworded it.. Please offer your advice one more time.

Line Up Card
Num Name Pos
1 Angie 1
2 Barbie 2
3 Casey 8
4 Darla DP
5..9 ...
10 Julie (Flex) 3

So when we come up on offense, DARLA hits a single and gets on base. I immediately bring my Flex in to run for her. Julie is still my Flex and has not left game. I do this throughout the game with DARLA and Julie. DARLA hits 3 times and gets on base, Julie runs 3 times for her.

Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Darla can only re-enter once. When she leaves the second time she is done for the game. If you subbed for Darla with a legal sub you could do it. When Darla (the DP) leaves that is a substitution.

Paul
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

leaves the game?

In the scenario, when does Darla leave the game?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

When the Flex runs for her. Running the bases is part of being on offense.

Paul
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 02:44pm

In your scenario, Darla could only reach base twice before she would be done for the day (assuming you run your FLEX for her each time she reaches).
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
In your scenario, Darla could only reach base twice before she would be done for the day (assuming you run your FLEX for her each time she reaches).
Ask Alfafa. Darla can do whatever Darla wants!

Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
as important as this question is to me, I cannot believe that I misworded it.. Please offer your advice one more time.

Line Up Card
Num Name Pos
1 Angie 1
2 Barbie 2
3 Casey 8
4 Darla DP
5..9 ...
10 Julie (Flex) 3

So when we come up on offense, DARLA hits a single and gets on base. I immediately bring my Flex in to run for her. Julie is still my Flex and has not left game. I do this throughout the game with DARLA and Julie. DARLA hits 3 times and gets on base, Julie runs 3 times for her.

Mike's post tells me we have resolved this exhaustively, but I can't resist summarizing.

No problem with Darla playing defense for F8 and Casey batting third, with Darla batting fourth; as the batting order says.

Julie as FLEX, can run for Darla as DP. However, Darla/DP has left the game when Julie/FLEX runs for her. Darla can only return once, like any other player. So, when Darla returns to the game, offense or defense, she has used her re-entry.

If Julie (or anyone else) runs for Darla at her second at-bat, Darla is finished for that game and may not re-enter again, offense or defense.

The FLEX and DP role/position/designation still continue, but now either Julie (or whoever else ran for Darla the second time) must bat in the fourth slot or another previously unused player may bat for her.