The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Question about bat

I was checking the bats in a tournament and saw on 2 different teams a DEMARINI bat that had a 6 sided taper. The handle was circular and so was the barrel. The taper had 6 flat sides to it.

Reading the rule bool (ASA) it says the taper may be conical. It says nothing about a flat sided taper. Have I missed something? Is there an exception to the conical rule for the taper?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

If the bat has an ASA certification, hasn't been altered, and isn't on the non-approved list, it would be a non-issue. Your question has been answered by the ASA process.

If it has no ASA certification, it should also be a non-issue.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue View Post
I was checking the bats in a tournament and saw on 2 different teams a DEMARINI bat that had a 6 sided taper. The handle was circular and so was the barrel. The taper had 6 flat sides to it.

Reading the rule bool (ASA) it says the taper may be conical. It says nothing about a flat sided taper. Have I missed something? Is there an exception to the conical rule for the taper?
I've always thought of a cone as round, but after checking the definition apparently that is not necessarily so.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
If the bat has an ASA certification, hasn't been altered, and isn't on the non-approved list, it would be a non-issue. Your question has been answered by the ASA process.

If it has no ASA certification, it should also be a non-issue.
Well, it looks like you answered everything abut non-approved bats and the procedure to detect them. You just didn't answer the question I asked. Or was this just a way to get the sarcasm out of your system?

Last edited by TexBlue; Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:39am.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In common usage in elementary geometry, cones are assumed to be right circular, where right means that the axis passes through the centre of the base (suitably defined) at right angles to its plane, and circular means that the base is a circle. Contrasted with right cones are oblique cones, in which the axis does not pass perpendicularly through the centre of the base. In general, however, the base may be any shape, and the apex may lie anywhere (though it is often assumed that the base is bounded and has nonzero area, and that the apex lies outside the plane of the base). For example, a pyramid is technically a cone with a polygonal base.
-- wikipedia
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue View Post
Well, it looks like you answered everything abut non-approved bats and the procedure to detect them. You just didn't answer the question I asked. Or was this just a way to get the sarcasm out of your system?
Based on the rule, Steve's answered the question quite well, that is unless whether this bat was approved or not wasn't your real question?

Which leads me to believe you may be asking if this approved bat may have been altered.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
-- wikipedia
I once took an upper-level math course. I remember the professor saying, "We will integrate this over the surface of a four-dimensional cone with a spherical base ... as the size of the sphere approaches infinity." Try drawing that on a flat sheet of paper!

(I think that's the only thing I remember from the entire course.)
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
I once took an upper-level math course. I remember the professor saying, "We will integrate this over the surface of a four-dimensional cone with a spherical base ... as the size of the sphere approaches infinity." Try drawing that on a flat sheet of paper!

(I think that's the only thing I remember from the entire course.)
Ugh, I had a Calculus II prof who would write an equation, start solving it, go all the way onto the next chalkboard and realize that he needed to start over.

Many trees were sacrificed that semester, but I passed. Barely.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I predict that some bat company will market a bat with dimples on the taper, like on a golf ball. they will claim that the bat will move faster thru the air because of the dimples.

then the asa will make us count the dimples for compliance, since more dimples has inherent advantages, and there is always someone trying to alter bats to gain an advantage.