The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Yet Another DTK Interference Question

Sitch:
R1 on 1st, R2 on 2nd. No outs. Count on the batter 0 and 2. Comes in strike three (PU calls "strike three, you're out"), and the catcher drops it. Batter-runner automatically runs to first (it is obvious that it is an automatic response and no nefarious intent was shown), and the catcher recovers the ball, throws to first. Overthrow, and the ball goes into right field. R1 scores, R2 ends up on 3rd base.
What is the call?

Do we say that the B-R is out (or rather R2 is out, because he is closest to home, and the B-R is out anyway) because of interference, or do we let the play stand, claiming that the players should know the rules and the situation?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg View Post
Sitch:
R1 on 1st, R2 on 2nd. No outs. Count on the batter 0 and 2. Comes in strike three (PU calls "strike three, you're out"), and the catcher drops it. Batter-runner automatically runs to first (it is obvious that it is an automatic response and no nefarious intent was shown), and the catcher recovers the ball, throws to first. Overthrow, and the ball goes into right field. R1 scores, R2 ends up on 3rd base.
What is the call?

Do we say that the B-R is out (or rather R2 is out, because he is closest to home, and the B-R is out anyway) because of interference, or do we let the play stand, claiming that the players should know the rules and the situation?
The play stands - that's nothing but a DMC - dumb move by the catcher.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

What about ISF Rule 8, Sec.9 (n):

n. When, after a runner, batter or batter-runner has been declared out, or after a runner has scored, the runner, batter or batter-runner interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner. A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw will be considered a form of interference.

That's why I'm asking the question, actually. It seems to me that according to this, an interference call should be made, although it goes against my intuition.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

n. When, after a runner, batter or batter-runner has been declared out, or after a runner has scored, the runner, batter or batter-runner interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner. A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw will be considered a form of interference.

That's why I'm asking the question, actually. It seems to me that according to this, an interference call should be made, although it goes against my intuition.
That is why it is always good to post which rule set you are referring to.

The similar NFHS rule for instance specifically states that running on the dropped third strike rule is NOT interference.
I am not familiar with IFS interpretation.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That is 8.9.O, but it would have helped if you specified ISF Rules.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

PU should be saying "Strike Three" thats it....dropped third strike allows BR to make an attempt to first. PU screwed up by saying Shes out. PU should be patient and make sure ball is caught before saying shes out. Ball is still live making other runners advance legal.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaaumpdj View Post
PU should be saying "Strike Three" thats it....dropped third strike allows BR to make an attempt to first. PU screwed up by saying Shes out. PU should be patient and make sure ball is caught before saying shes out. Ball is still live making other runners advance legal.
While I agree that should not be part of the regular third strike call, the umpire was correct. 1B was occupied with less than 2 outs.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuelg View Post
sitch:
r1 on 1st, r2 on 2nd. No outs. Count on the batter 0 and 2. ?

????
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

agreed, should have read better lol
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
That is why it is always good to post which rule set you are referring to.

The similar NFHS rule for instance specifically states that running on the dropped third strike rule is NOT interference.
I am not familiar with IFS interpretation.
I cannot find a specific interpretation for this sitch under NCAA rules.